- Visit Butler
- Apply to Butler
- Request Information
- Virtual Tour
- Find Your Counselor
- Butler on the Road
- Affordability & Aid
- International Admission
- Transfer Admission
- Graduate Admission
- Non-Degree Admission
- Admitted Students
- Resources for High School Counselors
- Butler Alumni Recruiting Corps
- Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Efforts in the Enrollment Management Division
Transfer Application Process
To submit a transfer application, you need to have completed 12 or more credit hours of college coursework at a regionally accredited university after high school graduation or be seeking a second bachelor's degree. Transfer admission is done on a rolling basis, but you'll need to know about these important dates. Questions? Email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Transfer Application Requirements
- Butler Application or Common App
- Official transcript from each college or university attended, submitted electronically to email@example.com or mailed directly from the issuing institution.
- Applicants must be in good standing with their previous colleges/universities; a total cumulative GPA of 2.5 or higher is preferred for admission consideration for most majors, with no grades below C- in the most recent semester.
- The middle 50% GPA range of transfer students entering Butler University in 2020 was 2.97–3.67.
- Final high school transcript required to complete the transfer application for students who have completed fewer than 20 college credits since high school graduation.
- Admitted transfer students with 20 or more college credits will need to submit their final high school transcript prior to enrollment.
Additional requirements set by specific programs (see below)
Students can apply with or without standardized test scores such as the SAT and the ACT. If applying with test scores, self-reported scores are accepted. More information can be found here.
Do transfer students need to submit scores?
Transfer applicants who are required to submit test scores (those with fewer than 20 credit hours) have the option of applying test-optional.
If you applied with self-reported test scores, you will need to submit official scores by August 1 (prior to fall enrollment) or January 1 (prior to spring enrollment).
If you have questions, please contact your admission counselor. More information can be found here.
College Transfer Credit
Our Office of Registration and Records will evaluate official college transcripts for possible transfer credit. To be transferable, coursework must meet the following criteria:
- It was earned at a regionally accredited institution.
- It was 100-level coursework or higher.
- The student received a grade of C- or better in the course.
How such credit transfers will be based on an individual evaluation of the coursework. This evaluation will determine whether the course is equivalent to a Butler course. For specific questions, please contact the Office of Registration and Records. View our current list of Transfer Course Equivalencies.
Butler University has an articulation agreement with Ivy Tech Community College for students interested in earning a bachelor’s degree in Elementary Education. Ivy Tech students who earn an associate degree in Elementary Education with a cumulative GPA of 3.0 or higher are encouraged to apply to the Butler University College of Education as a transfer student.
Interested students can apply using the transfer application for the fall, spring, or summer entry term. If admitted, 57 Ivy Tech credits will transfer to Butler and students will be on track to complete their bachelor’s degree in Elementary Education in five semesters as a full-time student. Admitted transfer students are eligible for transfer scholarship consideration and members of the Phi Theta Kappa honor society are eligible for the PTK award.
If you need additional information, please contact our team at firstname.lastname@example.org or 317-940-8100.
Click here for updates concerning submission of 2020 transcripts to PharmCAS and the impact of COVID-19 on this process.
Transfer students applying to programs within the College of Pharmacy and Health Sciences (COPHS) must submit a final high school transcript.
Students applying for the pre-professional phase of the Pharmacy program should complete the Butler or Common App. Transfer students applying to the 4-year professional phase of the PharmD program need to apply directly to the Pharmacy College Application Service (PharmCAS) at www.pharmcas.org. The recommended total cumulative GPA for prospective Pharmacy students is 3.0 or higher. The PharmCAS application deadline for the fall 2021 entry term is April 1, 2021.
Students wishing to major in the arts must complete a secondary Art, Arts Administration, Dance, Music, or Theatre Supplement Application in addition to the Butler Application or Common App. An audition, portfolio review, and/or interview is required of all majors in the Jordan College of the Arts. The application for admission and the supplement must be submitted before an audition can be scheduled. Once you have submitted your Butler or Common App, you will be asked to complete a supplement for your selected JCA major. Once the supplement is submitted, you will receive an email prompting you to select an audition, portfolio review, or interview date.
More information about the JCA application and audition process is available here.