Skip to main content

Error message

Notice: Undefined index: bundle in fieldable_panels_panes_load_from_subtype() (line 995 of /var/www/html/sites/all/modules/contrib/fieldable_panels_panes/fieldable_panels_panes.module).
Office of Admission

International Application Process

International Application Requirements



  • SAT (code 1073) or ACT (code 1180) scores*
  • Résumé outlining activities and honors
  • 1-2 Letters of Recommendation

International applicants must submit original or certified/attested true copies of transcripts from each secondary school (high school), college, or university attended. All transcripts must be sent directly from each school to the Office of Admission in separate, sealed envelopes and must be accompanied by certified English translations. If relevant, include a school leaving certificate, certificate of secondary education, or matriculation examination. You are not required to submit a credential evaluation up front, but this may be requested at a later date at our counselors' discretion. Transfer applicants should include syllabi or course descriptions for transfer credit evaluation.

Test Scores*
Beginning with first-year and transfer applicants for fall 2021, and extending to all incoming classes thereafter, students can apply with or without standardized test scores such as the SAT and the ACT.  If applying with test scores, self-reported scores are accepted. In addition, some majors and student populations do require test scores. More information can be found here.

Financial Documentation

International students (non-U.S. citizens) must also submit a statement of financial ability, along with documentary evidence of financial support. Documentary evidence of your and/or your sponsor’s financial ability may consist of the following:

  1.  Letter from employer on business stationary stating annual salary
  2. Letter from an office of a bank or other financial institution stating the date the account was opened, total amount deposited for the past year and present balance (in U.S. dollars). Bank statements will not be accepted as sufficient documentary evidence unless the account balance is very high. Bank statements saying that “sufficient” funds are available are not acceptable evidence
  3.  Income tax receipts and forms

Application for I-20

International students must also complete Butler University's Immigration Status/Application for Form I-20, which you'll gain access to after submitting your enrollment deposit. This form will provide us with biographical information, an affidavit of support, and financial sponsor information we need in order to issue the Form I-20 in the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services SEVIS information system. Once you receive an I-20 from Butler University, you must pay the SEVIS fee and schedule an appointment to meet with the nearest U.S. Embassy or Consulate to apply for a visa.

Program for Intensive English

Butler University has a formal agreement with Indiana University-Purdue University Indianapolis (IUPUI) and their Program for Intensive English (PIE). This alternative pathway for admission to Butler University is designated for applicants who may not meet Butler’s English proficiency requirements. Information about the program may be found on IUPUI's website. A separate application process to IUPUI’s PIE Program is required for admission.

The program supports students to achieve the required Level 6 passing level via the PIE Proficiency Exit Test. Students are asked to ensure the results are submitted to the Butler University Office of Admission so we can contact you about the next steps toward your enrollment at Butler.

PharmD Application for International Transfer Students

International transfer students who are interested in the Butler University Doctor of Pharmacy (PharmD) Program must submit the PharmCAS application ( International college transcripts must be reviewed by World Education Services (WES) and the WES evaluation report must be submitted to PharmCAS. Students only complete and submit the PharmCAS application, not the Butler or Common transfer application.