- Visit Butler
- Apply to Butler
- Request Information
- Virtual Tour
- Find Your Counselor
- Butler on the Road
- Affordability & Aid
- International Admission
- Transfer Admission
- Graduate Admission
- Non-Degree Admission
- Admitted Students
Find your Major
First Year Application Process
First Year Application Requirements
- Butler Application or Common App
- Writing sample, personal statement, or essay (650 words or less)
- Official SAT (code 1073) or ACT (code 1180) scores*
- Official high school transcript showing coursework completed through the junior year
- A Secondary School Report completed by your counseling office
- Résumé outlining activities and honors
- 1-2 Letter(s) of Recommendation
Beginning in fall 2020, Butler will accept self-reported test scores. Scores may be self-reported by the student on the application for admission, submitted directly from testing services, or included on an official high school transcript. If self-reported, students are required to have official scores sent from the testing service or from the high school on an official transcript by July 1 prior to summer or fall admission or December 1 prior to spring admission.
The test score requirement is waived for students enrolling five or more years after graduating from high school.
Applying through the Butler Application? Please explore one of the topics below in 650 words or less. You may also submit a personal statement or essay on a topic of your choice. You can submit your writing sample either with your application or after submitting your application by uploading it to your student status page or emailing it to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Describe a specific accomplishment or experience and its influence on you.
- Tell us what’s on your bucket list.
- If you were limited to just one person to get advice from, tell us who you would choose and why.
- Describe one thing about you we should know that we won’t find elsewhere in your application.
- Discuss an event or situation that reinforced the importance of diversity to you.
ADDITIONAL APPLICATION REQUIREMENTS
Students wishing to major in the arts must complete a secondary Art + Design, Arts Administration, Dance, Music, or Theatre supplement in addition to the Butler or Common App. An audition and/or interview is required of all majors in the Jordan College of the Arts. The application for admission and the supplement must be submitted before an audition can be scheduled. Once you have submitted your Butler or Common App, you will be asked to complete a supplement for your selected JCA major and then select an audition or interview date.
More information about the JCA application and audition process is available here.
Additional requirements for home school applicants include:
- Statement describing home school structure and mission
- Transcript/record of courses and grades
- Letter of recommendation from person other than parent
International applicant instructions and requirements can be found here.
Special admission information for veterans can be found here.
If you are a former Butler student in good standing and wish to return to the same program you were in before, you do not have to apply for admission again. Learn more here.