Faculty Orientation Guides
Join the fun! Complete the volunteer form to sign up to be a Faculty Orientation Guide (FOG) for Welcome Week 2018.
Academic Day is a key component of Welcome Week, where incoming students are first introduced to our academic culture through shared experiences with Butler students, faculty, and staff. Academic Day begins successful academic transitions for our students before the first day of class. A special focus is the discussion of a common reading, led by faculty and staff who serve as Faculty Orientation Guides. Students also converse with faculty and staff about expectations in college-level academic work and what constitutes engaged learning.
Faculty Orientation Guides, or FOGs as they are affectionately known, collaborate with Student Orientation Guides (SOGs) to spend Academic Day with an assigned orientation group of students drawn from across Butler majors and programs. Academic Day is Monday, August 20, 2018. Approximately 80 faculty and staff will be needed to serve as FOGs. If you are interested in volunteering, complete a volunteer form by Friday, July 30.
Orientation Group Structure:
The Welcome Week orientation groups will be organized by First Year Seminar class. (For example, all students enrolled in FYS101 section 01 will be in the same orientation group.) This structure aims to accomplish the following:
- Foster a diverse mix of colleges, majors, and interests within a small orientation group, averaging just 18 students
- Build connections with peers who will share a class together in the fall term
- Model interactive classroom-like discussions with each group
- Enable a broad array of faculty from all colleges, departments, and academic units to volunteer as Faculty Orientation Guides
- Develop a sense of wider belonging as diverse faculty and staff welcome new students into the Butler academic community
Components and Objectives for Academic Day:
- Introduce new students to faculty through informal, out-of-the-classroom interaction
- Attend the Academic Day Keynote Presentation (often featuring the author of the common reading)
- Lead the book discussion about the selected common reading to connect the book's themes to college and new student transition issues
- Engage new students in discussion about academic transition, classroom expectations, communication etiquette, and other academic-oriented topics
Common Reading for 2018:
The common read for 2018 is Enrique’s Journey: The story of a Boy’s Dangerous Odyssey to Reunite with his Mother by Sonia Nazario.
- Read the selected common reading by August 17, 2018. Upon completion of the volunteer form, a book will be sent to you via campus mail. If other book delivery arrangements need to be made, contact Mary Duffer.
- Attendance at all FOG events (see schedule below). If you are unable to attend any of the following, please contact Mary Duffer or Jennifer Griggs for alternative arrangements.
|FOG / SOG Training & Planning||Friday, August 17, 2018||9:00–11:30 AM, Reilly Room, Atherton Union||Breakfast included|
|Academic Day||Monday, August 20, 2018||8:30 AM–3:30 PM, Various Campus Locations||Lunch included|
Materials for Academic Day and Beyond
Faculty Orientation Guides can use these materials for Academic Day discussions and activities beyond Welcome Week.
Poem: Immigrants in Our Own Land by Jimmy Santiago Baca
Opinion Columns by Sonia Nazario:
TEDx Sonia Nazario: Solving Illegal Immigration [For Real]