Welcome, first-generation Bulldogs!
College is an exciting time of growth and development for all students. It can also be confusing and overwhelming, especially for students who may not have a road map to guide the way.
The term "first-generation" is used at Butler to describe enrolled students for whom neither parent has completed a four-year degree. In any given year, that is about 8–10 percent of our total student population. It is well established that first-generation college students may need targeted guidance and information to help them successfully navigate the college environment.
Enter BU First!
A place and a network of support to assist first-generation Bulldogs. Housed in the Office of the Dean of Students on the third floor of Atherton…
- We are good listeners and problem solvers.
- We are a FIRST STOP for questions and information when you don’t know where to start.
- We are connectors. If we don’t have the answer we will connect you to the appropriate person or resource.
- We will regularly communicate with all first-generation students and invite you to well-timed programs and activities.
- We will introduce you to others who have shared a similar experience and are available to mentor you along the way.
- We are available to members of your support system and happy to answer their questions.
Let us walk with you on your journey as a student and beyond. A strong support system can make a huge difference in a student’s success, which is why BU First aims to expand and strengthen the support for our first-generation students.
Stories from First-Generation Faculty and Staff
Read stories about personal experiences as first-generation students.
Advice from First-Generation Students
Read advice from current and former first-generation students.
BU First Week Events
What events are taking place this year?
First-Generation Articles and Statistics
Looking for more information on first-generation students?