Setting up a Service Project
If you and your student group are looking to set up a service
project, here are some helpful tips to get you started.
- Consider what issue you want to work for and how many people
you have in mind for the project. Depending on the size of the
group some agencies may not be able to accommodate you.
- Utilize our
categorical listing--you can find a starting point for agencies
in your desired area.
- Find out who the volunteer coordinator is, either through the
agency's website or by calling.
- Tell the volunteer coordinator the size of your group and that
you're interested in setting up a project with them. Make sure to
ask them what, if anything, they need done. It is important to not
tell them what YOU want to do because this may not be the agency's
greatest need. It is very important to respect
voice from the critical elements of service (please read
up on these to make your project a success!).
- Make sure you confirm the location, time and date.
- Ask if you need to bring any tools with you or wear certain
clothes (i.e. close-toed shoes or long pants, clothes that can get
- Make contact with the coordinator a few days prior to the set
date to make sure everything is a go.
- DO YOUR PROJECT!
- Complete a
reflection upon your return.
- Confirm your volunteers a few days ahead so you are aware of
- Have the group meet a little early if you need to take
- While at the site, ask questions of the staff about their
experiences to learn more.
- Ask for a tour if you think it's appropriate.
- If you're going to take pictures on-site make sure to ask