Images are permitted and encouraged on Web pages, as long as
they provide value to the page and follow certain recommended
- Images required for University templates will be chosen and
prepared with the assistance of the Web Marketing and Web Services
departments to ensure compliance with all University website
- Images should not include any unnecessary treatment such as
bordering, feathering, movement, animation, gradients, etc.
- Ideally, all images should be output in the format most
technically suited for the image type
- Images with limited color palettes or solid colors should be
- Images with multiple colors (e.g., digital photographs) should
be JPG images
- All images on a Web page should contain "alt" attribute
information that briefly describes the contents of the image
- Ideally, most images placed on a Web page should not be any
wider than 250 pixels. When resizing images for the Web using image
editing software (Photoshop, etc.), it is important to adjust the
width only and allow the height to automatically adjust itself
according to the locked aspect ratio of the image.
- When optimizing images for the Web, minimal file sizes are
preferred. In most cases, standard images should not exceed 35 - 50
KB. In unique circumstances, larger file sizes (50 - 100 KB)
may be acceptable.
Please consult with Web Marketing or Web Services if you have
concerns about image use.