Theatre at Butler is…
- An innovative, creative and supportive environment
in which self-sufficiency is fostered and students learn to produce
their work through total commitment to the collaborative process of
- International, where students study and train abroad (so far)
in London, at the Moscow Art Theatre School, Prague, and
- International, offering exchanges and on-campus residencies
including the new Christel DeHaan Visiting International Theatre
Artist (VITA) program where exceptional artists spend extended
residencies teaching and directing or designing in our mainstage
- International, providing practice-based curriculum taught by
experts in diverse performance techniques including Linklater
voice, Michael Chekhov, Etienne Decroux, and Viewpoints.
- Extensive opportunities in costume, scenic and lighting design
mentored by faculty of working design professionals.
- Connected to professional theatres and arts institutions from
Indiana Repertory Theatre, the Indianapolis Museum of Art, Phoenix
Theatre to abroad, providing regular interaction with artists,
internships in all areas of theatre practice, and contracted
- A program renowned for the innovative quality of its
productions and dedicated to staging of student-created work.
- Close mentoring by faculty who are theatre professionals,
academics, locally and international and connected.
- Experimental: Butler Theatre is a laboratory in which the DNA
of 21st theatre is being discovered. We believe
that theatre is best learned within both local and global
- An award winning undergraduate theatre program, accredited by
the National Association of Schools of Theatre (NAST).
BA in Theatre; BS in Arts Administration - Theatre