Students, Faculty, and Staff!
Did you know that our University has an excellent recycling
program? It is important that everyone takes their own role in
making our campus a greener place, and it is easy- just
On campus, we can recycle four things: Paper, Plastic, Cans (Pop
Cans, Soup Cans, etc.), and Glass; hence "Recycle 4 The World"!
Recycling bins and dumpsters are located all over the University,
so take a couple extra seconds on your way out the door or down the
hall to properly dispose of your trash. Recycling can have a big
impact on our future, and being an institution that will stand
strong in the future, we must recycle.
So when you are
about to throw something away, ask yourself "4?", if so, recycle
where to recycle on campus? Check the map below to see where you
can recycle at Butler University!
Quick! 11 Facts About
- The average American uses 650 pounds of paper each year - 100
million tons of wood could be saved each year if all that paper was
- Americans use 2.5 million plastic bottles every hour.
- A typical family consumes 182 gallons of soda, 29 gallons of
juice, 104 gallons of milk, and 26 gallons of bottled water a
- About 80% of what Americans throw away is recyclable, yet our
recycling rate is only 28%.
- Every month Americans throw out enough glass bottles and jars
to fill up a giant skyscraper, but all of these jars are
- Plastic bags and other plastic garbage thrown into the ocean
kills as many as 1,000,000 sea creatures a year! The Great Pacific Garbage
Patch is twice the size of Texas and is floating somewhere between
San Francisco and Hawaii. It's also 80 percent plastic, and weighs
in at 3.5 million tons.
- Recycling one ton of paper saves 17 trees, two barrels of oil
(enough to run the average car for 1,260 miles), 4,100 kilowatts of
energy (enough power for the average home for six months), 3.2
cubic yards of landfill space, and 60 pounds of pollution.
- The 17 trees saved by recycling one ton of paper can absorb a
total of 250 pounds of carbon dioxide out of the air each
- If all of our newspapers were recycled, we could save about 250
million trees each year! If every American recycled just one-tenth
of their newspapers, we could save about 25 million trees each
- More than 20 million Hershey's Kisses are wrapped each day,
using 133 square miles of aluminum foil. Believe it not, ALL that
foil is recyclable, but not many people realize it so most it goes
in the trash!
- Recycling one aluminum can saves enough energy to run a TV for
three hours. In spite of this, Americans throw away enough aluminum
to rebuild our entire commercial fleet of airplanes every three
Check out this entertaining and educative video about recycling!
- Why Recycle 101