Possible Consequences for Violations of the Butler Student
- The University's response starts with a conversation with a
conduct officer. (A conversation with Excise Police or a University
police officer may have preceded the conduct meeting. Anyone cited
or arrested for a violation of the law will also participate in the
criminal adjudication process and be responsible to meet the
requirements established by the courts in addition to what the
- A conduct file is created; it exists until one graduates...
and, in more serious cases, longer. Some graduate programs and
prospective employers inquire if one has a conduct record and
request the University to verify it contents.
- Parents may be notified for violations of the alcohol/drug
policies. If circumstances warrant, this could be on a first
- Students on conduct probation, for whatever reason, may not
participate in Greek recruitment or serve in campus leadership
positions like Student Orientation Guide, Resident Assistant,
- Students risk losing priority housing options like the ability
to preference an apartment setting during the housing lottery.
- Students may be asked to reflect and write about their choices
and how they support one's personal values and life goals.
- Students could be assigned an online educational module or
other research project.
- Students might spend a early weekend morning participating in a
structured campus or neighborhood clean up.
- If a student seems to lack an understanding the affect of
substances he/she would be assigned to take an alcohol/drug
- If a student seems challenged with decision-making he/she could
be assigned to "Take the Challenge," a six hour Saturday workshop
led by Butler challenge education staff.
- A referral for a mandated assessment with an alcohol/drug
counselor might be required. A student would be held to the
recommendations that result from an assessment.
- COPHS students, student athletes, and student employees risk
having their dean/coach/campus employer notified about behaviors
that are not in line with program standards and expectations.
- Students may be dismissed from Butler temporarily, or if
warranted, for good.
The Butler University Student Alcohol Policy can be found in the