How to Prepare for a Conduct Review at Butler University
These are steps you may wish to pursue as you prepare for your
meeting with a conduct officer or board. Please refer to the 2012-13 Student
Handbook for a comprehensive explanation of the hearing process
and appeals procedures. Contact the Dean of Student Services
(Atherton, 200) for further clarification and explanation.
- Review notice of review and charges.
- Meet with the Dean of Student Services to review the conduct
process, alleged violations and hearing procedure, if desired or
- Notify your witnesses and arrange for an advisor as desired and
- Prepare - gather evidence, talk with witnesses, prepare an
opening statement, write out questions for witnesses, develop
closing statement, prepare recommendation concerning sanctions (if
During Conduct Review:
- Be on time and be prepared.
- State plea ("responsible" or "not responsible").
- Present opening statement.
- Question university's witnesses, if present.
- Question your witnesses, if present.
- Present closing statement.
After Review (if found responsible):
- Review notice of decision and recommended sanction.
- If you choose to appeal the decision, notify the Dean of
Student Services, 200 Atherton Union, of your intent to appeal
within 48 hours of notice of decision.
- Present written appeal to the Dean of Student Services within
seven business days of notification of decision.
- Begin sanction if you do not appeal decision or if you have an
unfavorable appeals decision.