When people say Butler is a "Wet" campus, what does that really
Some college/universities take a position that NO alcoholic
beverages may be served on campus or at institution events…period.
Some might consider this a "Dry" campus.
Butler University allows alcohol to be served and consumed on
campus proper and at University-sponsored events, but it does so
with a whole host of guidelines and restrictions (see links
below). Above all, members of our community are expected to
follow Indiana state law. Within the framework of
state law, we seek to provide safe and healthy social interactions
that contribute to a positive living-learning environment.
According to our student alcohol policy, it is never OK
- Consume alcohol if you are under 21.
- Provide alcohol to minors.
- Misrepresent one's age in order to access/consume alcohol.
- Use student organization funds to purchase alcoholic beverages
without permission from the Vice President of Student Affairs.
- Walk around campus grounds, including sidewalks adjacent to
campus, with open containers regardless of one's age.
- Consume alcohol in University buildings/facilities or at
University-sponsored events unless the criteria below are
It is OK to…
- Consume alcohol in your residence hall room/apartment (with the
door closed) if you and all others present are 21 or older.
- Provide alcohol at University-sponsored events/activities if
appropriate permissions are granted within the established time
frames. We engage third-party vendors to provide and serve
alcohol. These vendors have the appropriate training,
licenses and insurance. For most campus-sponsored events this is
accomplished through our Dining Services catering department.