Wednesday, September 16, 2009
Staff Assembly Meeting Minutes
GH108 (Attendance - approximately 92)
Tyler Johnston, Chair, called the meeting to order and welcomed
Personal & Professional Development - Dick
Hamm reported Julie Pakinham and Lindsay Birt have joined the
committee. Email ideas for Microsoft Office training to Dick. The
PPSD committee hopes to use the information gathered to create
future computer training workshops. They are planning several
workshops, such as: Safety training for Bloodborne Pathogens and
Personal Protection Equipment on Oct 6th at 10:00 AM, "Cleaning for
a Healthy Home" Seminar - Oct 13th @ 11:30 AM, Holiday Planning
with Chef Tope in early November, Landscaping in Spring/2010 and
Preparing for College in spring/2010. These workshops will be a
brown bag setting with snacks provided at some workshops.
Employment Affairs -Dana Ohren
- They are updating the directory
- They are continually checking the suggestion boxes
- Adrian Sheppard is joining the committee.
Nominations & Elections - No report.
Activities & Socials - Chris Davis talked
about the Bulldog Tailgate on October 17. The cost will be $10 per
person. Staff will receive a flyer in the campus mail.
Faculty Relations - Tyler announced for Julie Schrader.
- Thank you to CSE for allowing them to conduct the Meet &
Greet at the staff/faculty picnic
- They are working on welcome wagon bags
- The committee need three members
- Bela will report on the survey findings at the next monthly
Communications - Marsha Endre reported the
current newsletter is the last publication as it will now go out in
the Butler Connection. They need one member.
Carrie Maffeo - H1N1 Preparations on Campus
- There are two types of vaccinations available, traditional and
seasonal. They will have the vaccinations in the next two weeks,
these vaccinations contains three non-active virus strains. The
cost will be $20.
- The new vaccination for the H1N1 virus strain will be available
October 1. This is by shot or nasal spray. The nasal spray is a
live virus for ages 2-49 years old, but will not be available at
the Student Health Center. You can get the nasal spray at
- The target groups for H1N1 available next 3-4 weeks recommended
for pregnant women, those with close contact to children under the
age of 6 months, 18 months to 24 years old. Chronic health
conditions are high rick. Health care workers, teachers.
- Originally everyone needed two doses but adults may possibly
only need one dose. Children will definitely need two doses.
- CDC website for up to date information
- Children must be 6 months of age
- Wash hands for 20 seconds
- Cover cough and sneeze
- Sanitizer with alcohol
- Clean workspace
- Dick Hamm stated that battery powered hand sanitizer units will
be placed around campus.
Common Symptoms - fever of 100 and up, chills, tired, sore
throat or cough, vomiting and diarrhea. If you have a chronic
condition, please call the doctor. Do not return to work until you
are fever free for 24 hours.
Joe Indiano and Ken Creech - Revised Computer
Why New Policy? A lot has changed since the old policy in 2001. Go
to www.butler.edu/ir, click on Policies
- Reviewed several university policies
- Completely re-wrote into three policies
- Computer use policy - high level rights
- Fair, responsible & acceptable computer use - outline basic
do's and don'ts
- Privacy of personally created content
Related policies include: identity theft, computer support and
Coco Acosta - ESL Classes
The first class was Monday with 18 students attending the
beginning class. Conversation Partner Program (CPP) is open to
everyone. Everyone is invited to go and practice Spanish with the
student for a ½ hour and they can then practice English with
Meg Haggerty, Pulse Office
- There have judging opportunities available to staff for the
homecoming competition events
- Spring Sports Spectacular
- SSSoberfest - Events include: cornhole tournament, face
painting, ladder gold, pumpkin painting, costume context, and a
- They will be raising money for the Washington Township Special
Olympics. Last year they raised $10,000 between two events.
Office Supply Swap - There will be an office
supply swap on September 29 from 9-3:30 in JH185. If there are any
questions please contact Marsha or Julie Pakinham.
Four new staff members were introduced and welcomed to
The next Staff Assembly meeting will be on Wednesday, October
The meeting was adjourned at 3:02 pm.