Wednesday, November 18, 2009
GH 108 (Attendance - Approximately 74)
Tyler Johnston, Chair, called the meeting to order and welcomed
Employment Affairs -Dana Ohren
- All the comments in the suggestion boxes have responses and are
updated on the boxes and website.
- Personal & Professional Development - Dick Hamm
- The Excel Tips and Techniques workshop was well attended.
- Blackboard Tips and Techniques will be held on 12/1/09.
- They are working on creating a book club in parallel to the
Visiting Writers Series.
- Other ideas include basic car maintenance, real estate, and
Communications - Marsha Endre
- The bulletin board in Jordan Hall is updated.
- The Staff Assembly general meeting minutes are posted on the
Activities & Socials - Chris Davis
- The Night at the Observatory with the wine tasting was a big
- The information will be out next week on the Salvation Army
Angel Tree event. Boxes will be placed across campus. We were the
largest donator of all the Indianapolis companies last year.
- They are working on a January basketball event with discount
tickets for faculty and staff.
Nominations & Elections - Patti Colip
reported elections will be in March.
Faculty Relations - Julie Schrader announced a
possible get together at the faculty coffee social.
Smoke Free Campus Committee - Julie is on this
committee and they have met to discuss the current policy.
United Way - Levester Johnson and Katie
Hackney, United Way representative
- We surpassed last years' goal and they asked for us to step up
- Katie explained what United Way does
- Highlighted the agency 211 which is a non-emergency help
- 2nd priority is Ready to Learn Ready to Earn
- Early Readers Club - send 12 books a year to 6 years old and
- Read Up Program - 4th and 5th grade level
- Money donated stays locally into the community, $.92 per dollar
goes to the agencies
- There will be a drawing, for all who donates, to get a
designated parking spot for the rest of the year
- They gave away a band uniform pillow for someone who answered
the trivia question - Judy Cebula won.
Center for Faith & Vocation - Blue House -
Judy Cebula and Margerite Stanciu. They need to raise money to keep
the programs going after 2011. They showed slides containing their
history, timeline and programs/services. Marguerite announced that
meditation is offered at noon on Wednesdays in the Advancement
American Cancer Society Relay for Life - Kim
- This is a 16 hour event on campus
- They passed around a flyer
- The theme this year is 'A World with More Birthdays'
- Showed clip 'Sponsor of Birthdays' celebrating birthdays
- Demonstrated the website and how to sign up to create a team or
sign up on a team.
- Dawn Pruim announced the Benefits Open Enrollment - go online
for Flex Spending but no action is needed unless making
- Faculty and Staff Holiday Party - Lauren Krueger. This year it
will be at the Indiana State Museum on December 11 from 7-10pm.
Pastry and holiday desserts will be available. RSVP online and pick
up the tickets from the Conferences and Special Events office.
Everyone must have a parking voucher or they will need to pay for
One new staff member was introduced and welcomed to Butler.
The next Staff Assembly meeting will be on Wednesday, December
16, 2009 and will be in a new location, PH150.
The meeting was adjourned at 3:00 pm.