Wednesday, March 18, 2009
Staff Assembly Meeting Minutes
GH108 (Attendance - approximately 103)
Tyler Johnston, Chair, called the meeting to order and welcomed
Featured Department - A slide containing the Top Dawg past
winners was presented.
Staff Development - Gary Beaulieu reported this
committee is offering staff three sessions which will be announced
in the Digest.
- Stress Management during Tough Economic Times, April 2
- Understanding Your Credit Score, April 8
- Understanding Today's Real Estate Market , April 15
Employment Affairs - Dana Ohren showed a slide
on Campus Sweep which is set for April 28
Nominations & Elections - Patti Colip announced that
nominations will be held from April 1 through April 10. There are
three seats to fill on the Executive Committee. Elections will be
held on-line from April 18-21.
Activities & Socials - Jennifer McConnell
reminded everyone that the Relay for Life will be held March 27-28.
Team Finance rose over $1,000. The Spring Sport Spectacular
overnight event will be held April 17 -18.
Faculty Relations - Julie Schrader announced the
survey results will be reported by early Fall. They would like a
have a 'get-to-know you' event again during the spring picnic. They
will hand-out goody bags to the faculty who received tenure or
Communications - Monica Strigari reported the
newsletter was sent.
Top Dawg - Dick Hamm announced nominations will
be open until May 1.
Bylaws - Tyler presented a slide with the
written changes to the Staff Assembly Bylaws. The new bylaws show
the restructure of the Executive Committee. Staff Assembly will
vote on this in the April meeting.
Survey Results - The survey results are not finished yet, but will
be in presented in the April meeting.
Jonathan Small - Background Check Policy & Long Term
Background Check Policy - The purpose of the policy is to
make sure Butler is providing a safe environment for faculty, staff
and students. It also follows Federal laws and guidelines. Jonathan
presented a grid with types of checks with qualifications.
- The background check will be reviewed at Human Resources level
and communicated with management to determine risk factor of hiring
- The background check is only for new hires
- It will be part of the employment process and will require
permission from the applicant to conduct the check, which will be a
separate form from the application
Long Term Care - Genworth Financial will provide the
additional source of funding
- The premiums will come out of employees pay check after
- It is for employees and families.
- There will be three options to purchase the Long Term Care
- During open enrollment, employees will not be subject to
- The open enrollment dates will be April 16 and 17.
Dr. Fong - Finances - Actions of Board of
Trustees at the February meeting.
- 6% of the operating expense comes from endowments.
- We are enrollment sensitive and if we make the end student
number, we will be okay with the moderate increase of tuition.
- There is an increase of Financial Aid offering this year.
- Applications are up 7% but deposits are down.
- Historical data is no good to us this year.
- Salary pool for next year is 1% across the board but is
contingent on meeting the enrollment numbers on census day. If a
salary increase occurs, it will be retro-dated back to June 1.
- The graduation rate of athletes is 89%.
Doggy Days Calendar - A student presented a
slides about the calendar.
Five new staff members were introduced and welcomed to
The next Staff Assembly meeting will be on Wednesday, April 15,
The meeting was adjourned at 3:37 pm.