Wednesday, December 16, 2009
PB150 (Attendance - Approximately 92)
Bob Holm, Vice Chair and Julie Schrader called the meeting to
order and welcomed everyone.
Featured Slide Presentation - Internship and Career Services
Employment Affairs - Mary Callahan-Azar
- There are no new suggestions and no additional responses.
Personal & Professional Development - Dick
- They are sponsoring a book review of "The Brief Wondrous Life
of Oscar Wao" by Dominican-American author Junot Diaz. The book
review will be held on Tuesday, February 9 in AU111 from 12-1pm.
Katherine Smith and Julie Pakenham will be staffing a table in
Starbucks on Tuesday, January 12th from 8-10am to promote the
event. The website for the book is http://www.bookreporter.com and
the bookstore is planning to stock the book. The plan is to read
the book over the holidays and prepare to review it on February 9.
Mr. Diaz will be on campus February 11 as part of the Vivian S.
Delbrook Visiting Writers Series.
- "The Top 10 Biggest Mistakes Homebuyers/Home Sellers Make" will
be conducted on January 27 from noon to 1:00pm with Steve Rupp,
Century 21 Realty Group as the guest speaker. RSVP to Dick Hamm by
Noon, Friday January 22
- Healthy Horizons Weight Watchers at Work will begin January 14.
Contact Amy Kutansky with questions.
Communications - Marsha Endre. The newsletter
Activities & Socials - Chris Davis
- Donations for the Angel Tree are due today. There were 150 tags
- They are still working on a January basketball event for
faculty and staff discount tickets.
Nominations & Elections - No report.
Faculty Relations - No report.
ESL - Coco announced the last meeting was
today. Class will start again in January.
Jonathan Small - New Substance Abuse Policy
- Two reasons to have the policy. 1. Comply with the 1988 Drug
Free Act. 2. Safe work environment.
- Scope: All employees.
- Under the influence while at work
- Testing of Applicants - Required for certain positions
- Reasonable Suspicion Testing - Specific objective facts such as
direct observation and pattern of abnormal conduct
- Post Accident Testing - Work related accident or injury, a
fatality, or significant damage
- The university specifies the test
- Disciplinary Action - After review of the results, may be
suspended with or without pay, offered a counseling program, and if
second positive test could be terminated
- What is the timetable for the policy? It will be presented to
the Board for approval.
- What about the faculty who live on campus? They can't be
- Should workers in the chemistry labs be pre-employed tested?
They are not currently in the policy.
- If someone is asked to take the test and the refuse, what
happens? They can be terminated.
- Does policy apply to affiliates? Yes.
- Dick Hamm - The Building Services department
will be adding an evening shift that will be staffed 3:30 PM to
midnight, Mondays through Fridays starting January 4. This shift
will consist of 10 staff and will be supervised by Robert Ware.
Please contact Dick or Robert with any questions.
- Dick Hamm - ECO Dawgs and student ECO will be
announcing the start of the 2010 Recyclemania contest at the
January 20th Staff Assembly meeting. The contest runs from January
17 through March 27. ECO president, Kaitlin Haskins and recycle
chair, Rich Hofstetter will present a video with a message from
Blue on Recyclemania. There is a trailer of Blue's video through a
link on the Staff Assembly Website.
One new staff member was introduced and welcomed to Butler.
The next Staff Assembly meeting will be on Wednesday, January
20, 2010 and will be in a new location, PH156.
The meeting was adjourned at 2:40 pm.