Wednesday, August 19, 2009
Staff Assembly Meeting Minutes
GH108 (Attendance - approximately 87)
Tyler Johnston, Chair, called the meeting to order and welcomed
everyone. This is a special back to school edition of Staff
Assembly. Blue II was a special guest.
Featured Slide Presentation - Beth Alexander presented a slide
presentation of the 2009 commencement.
Tyler - A student tweeted - 'I just moved into the most magical
place on earth' This years class includes: 958 freshmen, average
3.74 GPA, 8 national merits scholars 56 valedictorian, 19
salutatorians, 29 Lilly scholars, from 32 states, Australia, 104
Personal & Professional Development -
Marsha Endre reported for Dick Hamm. The committee met
- The Butler Digest is being revised and will be re-titled
- My.butler.edu has been upgraded.
- They will be concentrating on three projects
- "Preparing for College" workshop focusing on topics such as
tuition remission, appropriate paperwork, etc.
- H1N1 (swine flu) campus information program
- Cooking workshops with Chef Tope. Topics include preparing for
tailgating and holiday events.
Employment Affairs - Mary Azar Callahan stated
the first meeting will be in September. She asked if anyone had
pictures from the Campus Sweep to please notify her.
Nominations & Elections - Patti Colip stated
there is nothing to report.
Activities & Socials - Chris Davis reported
that the Passport Day was yesterday. 50 people received passports
but there was some confusion as it was set up for only new passport
and not renewals. USPS ran the event and will have another one in
November. The committee met last Tuesday and they are working on
Faculty Relations - Julie Schrader reported they
met with Bela Florenthal on July 30. Bela provided them with the
results of the student Faculty/Staff survey. They will share a
summary of the results in a general meeting. They plan to sponsor a
get to know you at the next staff picnic. They are still taking
pictures for 'Who's That'.
Communication - Marsha Endre reported the Staff
Assembly website is almost complete with a re-development. She
thanked Jamie Survance for her help with the process. The website
will hold dates of activities and meetings. The suggestions and
comment forms will be posted available on the website and will
still be anonymous.
Marsha Dowell - There are three new
- Campus directory located at www.butler.edu. For the 'opt out'
provision, go to www.butler.edu/about/directories. This directory
can show home address and phone number. Also, spouse information
can be added. This will launch on September 1.
- Enhance Dana's directory with a printed directory out this
- My.butler.edu has option for personal information.
David McCullough - University Bands.
- The band program turns 80 years old this year
- They have had featured articles in Sports Illustrated four more
times than any other university band
- It is documented that they are the first in the country to
allow women in the band
- The Butler University Marching Band 2008 DVD is for sale in the
bookstore for $14.95 but can also be purchased from the band office
- Band members in 2005 - 48, 2006 - 62, 2007 - 74, 2008 - 84 and
2009 - 110.
- Kappa Kappa Psi got 106 of the old band uniforms and they were
able to make 212 pillows. These pillows were marketed to band
alumni. They raised $9,000 on them.
- Sent movies out to archive and got 11 DVD's
- There are 211 Kappa Kappa Psi chapters and Butler's chapter is
the most outstanding in the country
- Alpha Beta Brothers and the Founders Trophy in Phoenix
Levester Johnson, Student Affairs
- Students started moving in over a week ago
- 475 students already moved in to the Apartment Village
Trivial Questions for Door Prizes
- AOC, what is it? Ambassadors of Change
- One of the oldest Greek Chapters returning to campus on Friday,
who is it? Phi Delta Theta
- What goes on Sunday under the tent? Resource Fair
- What is the Mall Mixer on Monday? Play Fair
- What is the Tuesday event out in the community? Bulldogs Into
The Streets (BITS)
- What was the email message about that was sent out a few weeks
ago? Community of Care. 100 presidents that talked about drinking
on campus. End result is less cases to deal with.
Chad Lesczynski, SGA president.
- SGA is hosting two events, Clowes Hall showing video about Blue
Crew and karaoke night on Thursday.
- SGA helped with the initiative to get more lounge space in the
C Club. Should be complete in about two weeks
- The shuttle bus for students on Friday and Saturday will be
extended to Glendale Mall.
Five new staff members were introduced and welcomed to
The next Staff Assembly meeting will be on Wednesday, September
16 in GH108.
The meeting was adjourned at 3:05 pm.