Welcome from the Butler University Dance Team
Annual Butler University Dance Team Clinic
Saturday, November 1, 9 a.m.-noon, Health and Recreation
Additional details and registration
Who We Are
We are a jazz, hip-hop, pom and kick-based team that is
comprised of anywhere from 17 to 20 members.
We are a student-led organization. The team is led by three
co-captains who are elected at the end of each academic year by
team members. In addition, we have a faculty advisor who meets with
the captains and provides overall guidance.
What We Do
Joining the dance team is a year-long commitment. Tryouts occur in
the fall to determine the team for each academic year.
- The team performs at several home fall football games, all of
the men's home basketball games, and many of the women's home
basketball games. We also perform at other events on and off campus
throughout the year.
- In recent years, the team's other campus appearances have
included Yell Like Hell (a Greek-life competition),
Relay for Life, and Geneva Stunts (an all-campus
event). We have performed off campus at other universities,
large high school state dance team competitions, and the NCAA
Beyond our regular performances, our team also hosts a dance
clinic for children ages 6-10. This event not only helps us with
fundraising, but also allows us to be more involved with our
community. During a four-hour clinic, we introduce kids to several
different dance techniques and teach them a routine that can be
performed at a Butler sporting event later on that day.
- The team typically practices three times a week for two hours
each night. The times and dates of practices are determined after
fall tryouts based on the schedules and availability of the new
team members. Last year, for example, we practiced Sunday, Tuesday
and Thursday anywhere from 7:00-10:00 p.m. During basketball
season, however, we sometimes hold extra practices to accommodate
- Non-major dance classes are NOT required for being a member of
the team. However, in the past, we have had several team members
participate in those classes.
- During the year, we learn between eight and 10 dances,
depending on the number of performances scheduled. Early in the
season, the co-captains typically choreograph the routines. Later
in the season, however, any interested team member is invited to
choreograph a dance for one of the games.
- In the past, we have also hired an outside choreographer to
help us with routines for important events, such as Geneva
- Tryouts occur early in the fall semester of each academic
- Information about tryouts will be posted on fliers around
campus, announced in the Butler News Digest and available at the
Butler Block Party held the day before classes begin.
- Anyone interested in joining the dance team is welcome to try
out. No experience is necessary, and you do not need to register or
sign up for auditions.
- Tryouts begin with learning a routine that incorporates several
dance styles, such as hip-hop, jazz and pom. After a lunch break
that allows time for review and practice of the routine, potential
team members perform the routine in groups of three or four in
front of judges. Then, each dancer individually completes several
technical skills such as split leaps, switch leaps, pirouettes,
right and left splits and turns in second/fouettes. Acrobatic
skills are also welcome, but are not required.
- In recent years, between 35 and 50 students have auditioned for
the team, and we have formed teams ranging in size from 17 to 20
members. The number of team members and composition of the team
depends on both individual talent and on how well the whole group
coalesces and dances as a team.
- As a student-led organization, the team typically engages in
several fundraisers each year to help cover costs of new uniforms,
additional costumes or competitions.
- In the past, our fundraisers have included bake sales, t-shirt
sales, invited performances, assisting with community events, and
our Dance Team Clinic.
- The expected cost to our Dance Team members are:
- $40 Initial Activities Fee
- $30 Black Pants (new members only)
- $30 Black Jazz Shoes
- $30 Tan Jazz Shoes
- $50 Sponsor Forms
- $70 Additional costs for costumes or other expenses (varies
from year to year)
- To cover the cost of the sponsor forms, many team members ask
family members or friends to serve as sponsors. Additional
contributions from friends and family are always welcome as
- We know that every team member's financial situation is unique.
If costs are a prohibitive factor for joining the team, we will
work with individual team members.
If you have any other questions or want more information about
the Butler Dance Team, please feel free to contact our faculty
advisor, Dr. Tara Lineweaver. You can
also find us on Facebook by searching 'Butler University Dance