Necessities for Public Speaking Speeches
- Introduction-Make sure to grab the attention of the audience
with a hook or an attention grabber; this could be a quote,
statistic, question, or a story
- Visual Aid-Whether it's a PowerPoint, a picture, or a video
make sure it relates to your speech and does not distract the
audience from you.
- Audience Adaptation- Make sure the audience knows why your
topic affects them
- Preview- It is important to preview your speech so your
audience knows what the main points of your speech will be.
- Transitions and sign posting-Make sure your audience knows
where you are throughout your speech. *For a list of transitions,
check out the resources section of the Speakers Lab website.
- Eye contact and movement- It is important to keep eye contact
with your audience. It is also important to move around but not
pace. When one stands in one place, the audience does not get drawn
into the speech as well. Also, it is very important to use gestures
to use the body to draw the audience into your speech.
- Review- This should be similar to your preview except this
comes after you have hit your main points.
- Conclusion- Make sure your conclusion is remembered by the
audience. If you told a story or cited a quote, relate the
conclusion to this.
Necessities for Mock Interviews
- Dress Professional- A mock interview should be treated like a
- Good Handshake
- Prepared Questions- Make sure to bring creative questions to
the interview and be prepared to answer these questions along with
- Ask Questions- Even when being interviewed, ask questions of
your potential employer about the company.
- Exchange Business Cards- Bring either a professional business
card or paper with contact information.
- Resume- Bring your resume as a point of reference during the
Necessities for Internship Presentations
- PowerPoint- Have a presentation ready before coming to the
- Know your Audience- Address class and professor on whom your
audience is before starting your problem, solution analysis.
- Background Information- Give your class a quick insight into
what you did during your internship.
- Problem and Solution- Make sure you have a clear problem and a
clear solution for the problem.
*Remember, practice is very important in building confidence in
delivering speeches, so make sure to practice enough to feel
comfortable giving the speech.