Butler Awards Committee Travel-to-Present Paper at
Up to $700 per eligible faculty member/per
fiscal year (June 1 to May 31 of the following year).
A supplement of up to $500 per eligible
faculty/per fiscal year (June 1 to May 31 of the following year) if
required for an international conference.
Travel is charged to the fiscal year in which it occurs.
Both Travel-to-Present Grants and International Conference
Supplements must be matched at least 50% by the applicant's
Grant Application Form
Program: This program supports faculty travel
costs to a national or international meeting to present the results
of a research, creative or scholarly project.
- The maximum allocation available annually per faculty member is
$700 (apart from supplemental funding for international conferences
). The Committee will also fund up to a $500 supplement for
international travel (Domestic travel includes travel within
the continental U.S. and travel to Hawaii, Alaska, Puerto Rico and
Canada. All other travel is international travel.) Faculty
presenting at more than one conference per year must submit a
request for funding for each conference.
- Faculty must submit a request for funding prior to conference
travel and a detailed Expense Report form must accompany
interdepartmental invoices once the travel is completed.
- The grant is intended to supplement college travel funding. The
grant amount must be matched at least 50% by college travel
- If the applicant's college cannot fully match the requested BAC
grant amount, the dean of the applicant's college should indicate
this on the BAC application form. Requests for such travel will be
granted at the discretion of the BAC.
- Travel-to-Present funds are meant to fund those presenting
papers/posters. Session respondents and panelists will be
funded at a rate of 50 percent. Applications for session
chairs, conveners and presiders will not be funded. (BAC
understands "convening" to involve proposing and organizing a
session, and inviting participants.)
- In cases of multiple authors, only the principal presenter will
An application must include the following:
- The conference to be attended.
- Enclose a copy of the acceptance/invitation to present a
paper/poster at the conference.
- An abstract of the paper/poster to be presented; no more than
- A budget summary that lists and totals all requested
expenditures and identifies the source of the matching funds.
- The proposal must be signed by the applicant, Head of
Department or Program Chair, and Dean of the College.
Proposals that do not conform to these guidelines will be
returned without evaluation. Use the form
that is currently on the website. The BAC will not accept
proposals on outdated forms.
Deadline: Applications are accepted on a
rolling basis and should be submitted electronically to the BIRS
office when acceptance of the proposal to present is received from
Please submit your request no less than 6 weeks in advance of
travel to allow for processing.