Registration and Records

Transfer Credit

For Butler Students Taking a Course Somewhere else over the Summer

Current Butler students who wish to take classes off campus need to obtain pre-approval. If the summer course is intended to be counted for Butler core curriculum credit, which includes general requirements and distribution requirements, students should follow the Core Course Instructions below.

To get started with getting transfer credit approval, select and print the appropriate application form and instructions (PDF files) for Core or your college:

Credits earned at an institution which is on the quarter system will be converted to semester hours at Butler University.  Three quarter hours equal two semester hours at Butler; four quarter hours equal two-and two-thirds semester hours at Butler; five quarter hours equal three-and-one-third semester hours at Butler.

For Students Who Wish to Transfer Graduate Credit

In order for graduate coursework completed elsewhere to be applied towards a master's degree at Butler University, students need to submit the Request for the Transfer of Graduate Credit application.  Graduate transfer credit policies and instructions are located on the form.  

Permission to Intrude

A student must complete his or her last 30 hours of coursework at Butler. In order to transfer a class within those 30 hours, permission to intrude must first be obtained from the Dean's office of your college.

For Butler Students Applying to Another University

Request a transcript of your Butler coursework and tell us the address where we should send it. Most schools prefer that we send it directly to them. You may also wish to have your Butler transcript sent again at the end of the semester, after grades and degrees are posted.

For Students at Another University Who are Transferring to Butler

Please have an official transcript sent from your school to:

Butler University - Office of Admission
4600 Sunset Avenue
Indianapolis, IN 46208 

For Students at Another University Taking a Summer Course at Butler

Undergraduate students who wish to take summer classes at Butler can register as a "Guest", and no transcripts from your home school are necessary. For more info, visit the Summer Guest Registration page.


More news

Registration & Records

Jordan Hall 133, 145
4600 Sunset Ave.
Indianapolis, Indiana 46208
Phone: (317) 940-9203
(800) 368-6852 ext. 9203
Fax: (317) 940-6539