Registration and Records

New Student Information Overview

New to Butler University? Learn more about the services provided by the Office of Registration and Records (R&R). Here are answers to questions frequently asked by new students:  

New Student Registration

Where do I Find Information about New Student Registration Days?

Detailed information about New Student Registration, a required one-day program for admitted students, can be found under the Office of Admission website. The site includes dates, cost, map and directions, and parking information. You can also explore College and Program information to help you prepare for your academic advising appointment.

What can I do to prepare for my advising appointment?

Review the Fall 2014 First-Year Course Recommendations booklet to find courses of interest that you can discuss with your academic advisor.

 AP or Transfer Credit

How Do I Submit my Advanced Placement (AP) Scores to Butler?

If you designate Butler as a score recipient institution on your AP registration answer sheet in May, your AP score report will be automatically sent to Butler in July. Each report is cumulative and includes scores for all the AP exams you have taken, unless you have requested that one or more scores be withheld or cancelled.

If you had previously submitted AP scores to Butler for exams taken during your sophomore or junior years, you can check your AP credit online on

If you did not list Butler as a score recipient institution, contact AP Services at: (888) 308-0013 to request your official score report. Butler's college code is 1073. Only official score reports received directly from AP Services will be accepted.

Learn more about Advanced Placement credit.

How Do I Transfer College-Level Courses Taken While a High School Student?

You will need to request an official transcript from the college where the credit was earned. Courses must be earned from a regionally accredited college or university. The official college transcript can be mailed directly from the institution to:

Butler University
Office of Admission
4600 Sunset Avenue
Indianapolis, IN 46208-3485

For colleges and universities that issue official electronic transcripts, the transcripts can be sent directly from the institution to If the student wishes to hand deliver the college transcript, it must be submitted in the issuing institution's original sealed envelope. Opened transcripts are not considered official.

A transfer credit report will be mailed to the student's home address once the coursework evaluation has been completed. Students can also view their transfer credit report online on

Learn more about Transfer Credit.

Enrollment Verification

How do I provide Proof of Enrollment for Insurance or Scholarship Purposes?

If you don't need a full tran­script with all your course­work and grades, but do need to provide documentation to someone that you are or have been a student at Butler University, you may request an Enrollment Verification. This is what insurance companies typically want to verify that you qualify for coverage. If your car insurance wants to verify your academic qualifications for a Good Student discount, be sure to check "Include my term and cum GPA."

Log on to Select Self Service, then Academic Re­cords, and then select Request Enroll­ment Verification. Provide the data requested and be sure to click SUBMIT at the bottom. Requests are usually processed within one week.

Name Change

How do I Notify the University of an Official Name Change?

For name changes, we must see the new name on a Social Security card.

You may complete the Name Change Form (PDF) found on the Registration and Records website, and then mail it, fax it, or bring it in, with a copy of the new Social Security card.

We cannot accept name changes over the phone.

Transcript Ordering

How do I Request an Official Transcript?

Requests for an official copy of your Butler University transcript, either paper or e-transcript, may be submit­ted online through our Online Transcript Ordering service provided through the National Student Clearing­house. There is a charge for an official transcript.

Free transcripts are available for current Butler students who need a transcript sent directly to a scholarship agency. We are unable to send e-Transcripts as part of this service. Submit the Free Transcript Request Form (PDF) by fax, mail, or email, attaching a scanned image of your completed request form (with your signature) to or in person (please bring a picture ID).

Learn more about ordering a copy of your Official Transcript. 

How do I View my Unofficial Transcript?

Current students may review their unofficial transcript at any time on Just log in, select Self Service, then Academic Records, then View Unofficial Transcript and click on Go.

Learn more about viewing your Unofficial Transcript.

VA Benefits

For questions about your VA benefits, please visit the office of Registration and Records in Jordan Hall, Room 133.

Related R&R Links:

New Student Information form: A quick reference of R&R services and of information found in your Student Center.  

Get to know your Student Center


Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)