Professional Practices and Ethical Standards
The American Association of Collegiate Registrars and Admissions
Officers (AACRAO) is concerned with the advancement of
postsecondary education and the standards and conduct of those
professionals who are involved at all levels. To provide guidance
to these professionals, AACRAO has adopted the following principles
which exemplify those qualities and attributes that distinguish
members of the association both past and present. AACRAO members
- Believe in and be loyal to the philosophy and goals of the
profession and the institutions we serve.
- Understand and respect the civil and human rights and
responsibilities of all individuals while supporting and protecting
the principles of due process and confidentiality.
- Adhere to the principles of nondiscrimination and equality
without regard to race, color, creed, gender, sexual orientation,
age, disability, religion or national origin.
- Represent an institutional or association perspective without
vested interests or personal bias.
- Initiate policies that support the goals of our
- Assert ourselves when policies or practices are proposed that
seem to be contrary to the philosophy and goals of our professions
- Participate in and contribute to professional activities and
their development to ensure effective and efficient management of
resources, data and personnel.
- Communicate an accurate interpretation of our institutions'
admissions criteria, educational costs, financial aid availability
and major offerings to assist prospective students and parents in
making an informed decision.
- Assist in improving educational standards and methods of
evaluation at the institutional, state, and federal level so that
grading is meaningful in reflecting the academic achievement of
- Understand and appreciate the dynamics of interpersonal
relationships when dealing with students, parents, faculty,
administration, associates and the public.
- Develop and implement effective management systems that will
ensure integrity, confidentiality, security of institutional
records and provide an accurate interpretation of such
- Dedicate ourselves to the ideals and principles that will
enable students to develop their talents and interests to become
responsible citizens and contributors to the improvement of
- Practice honesty and integrity in our professions and in our
Butler University's Office of Registration and Records supports
these standards and strives to make them happen in our work.