About our Faculty
Butler University faculty are committed to academic excellence;
they offer students a challenging and supportive education; they
practice service to the campus and in the world; and they cultivate
an intellectual and social community. To assist them, the faculty
development program supports faculty in achieving their own
potential as scholars, researchers, and creative artists; assists
in their development as teachers; and supports a faculty member's
development as a thoughtful participant and leader in the Butler
community. Responsive to the professional needs and interests of
each faculty member in all stages of an academic career, the
faculty development program includes support for teaching
initiatives and faculty research, scholarship, and creativity, and
provides on-campus opportunities for focused conversation on the
teacher-scholar model, pedagogy, assessment of student learning,
and collaboration among colleagues.
- Aspire first to be effective teachers.
- Seek and state the truth as you see it by developing and
improving scholarly and creative competencies.
- Encourage the free pursuit of learning by students.
- Are an engaged and respectful community of scholars.
- Engage in meaningful professional and community services,
always mindful of their obligation to promote conditions of free
- Integrate teaching, scholarship and service in ways that
connect Butler and Indianapolis for mutual benefit.
- Follow a mentoring model that encourages students to make
informed, rational and ethical choices.
- Understand how our authority and power as a member of the
faculty can help promote student learning and enhance the