Shared Strategic Vision
During spring 2012, the Board of Trustees and University
leadership began discussions on the emerging vision for Butler
University over the next 10-15 years, including the development of
a set of proposed strategic action items intended to advance our
University. The vision for the Butler of the future is one built
upon the foundation of the liberal arts and sciences, complemented
with nationally-recognized disciplinary and professional programs,
preparing students to become outstanding global citizens optimally
equipped to confront the challenges of their careers. We also
accepted that the transmission of knowledge would no doubt evolve
and Butler must adapt to those changes in order to assure a leading
role in higher education.
Accordingly, the strategic action items are as follows:
- Expand our undergraduate program at a measured pace, with more
aggressive growth in graduate
programs, with careful consideration of quality and demand.
- Actively pursue an array of new degree, non-degree, and
interdisciplinary programs, both on-campus
and online, in areas where there is student interest, faculty
interest, capability, and the opportunity for
Butler to deliver distinctive and successful educational
- Increase emphasis on research to support growth and
effectiveness of knowledge transfer in Butler's undergraduate and
graduate offerings. This will be done consistent with Butler's
overall mission without seeking to become a high research
- Pursue innovation in program offerings, weaving experiential
and online learning into Butler programs.
- Aggressively strengthen Butler's national (and, in selected
areas, international) reputation.
- Aggressively strengthen Butler's reputation among, and
relationships with, recruiters-across University programs,
colleges, and disciplines-to improve career-placement outcomes for
all Butler graduates.
- Grow the endowment to $750 million by 2025.
- Reduce tuition dependence from 87% to 75% by 2025.
- Increase annual operating margins from <1% to 5% within the
next 5 years by adding revenue-generating programs.
- Update/develop Butler's Campus Master Plan to reflect the
University's strategic direction and vision.
Now is time to actively engage the broader University community
in discussion and determination of the appropriateness and
feasibility of various initiatives. Let your voice be heard.