Park Butler

Vehicle Registration

Any registered student, faculty member, staff member, or member of an affiliated group with office space on campus who wants to park a motorized vehicle on campus or authorized city street must register the vehicle with the Office of Parking Services. Registration and parking regulations are based on a legal commitment with the City of Indianapolis and the Butler-Tarkington Neighborhood Association. Additional authority to regulate parking on campus is in compliance with Indiana Code 21-17-5-7. The University provides parking in designated locations on campus.

University-owned or leased vehicles for shared department/division use are exempt from any fee to register a vehicle. At the discretion of the Executive Director of Public Safety, those vehicles may be required to display a permit. University employees who are issued a University vehicle, owned or leased, for personal and business use are required to purchase a parking permit.

For more information on vehicle registration, please contact the Office of Parking Services at (317) 940-9243.


A fee is charged for each permit issued. A separate permit is required for each registered vehicle, and permits are non-transferable and non-returnable. Replacement permits will be issued at a reduced cost if the old permit, or portion of it, is presented. Permits expire on July 31 of each calendar year.


Faculty and staff members must pay for their permit upon receipt. Students will be billed for their permit through the Office of Student Accounts. Online registration is permitted for a limited time. Faculty and staff will have payment made through payroll deduction if utilizing the online registration. All outstanding parking fines must be paid before a vehicle can be registered.

Second Permit

A second vehicle permit can be purchased for use for faculty and staff who own two vehicles or for a student who wants to bring a second car to campus (not recommended due to minimal student spaces). The second permit is the same cost as the first permit.


Registration letters will be sent to each faculty/staff and student during the summer before the fall semester. A registration form must be filled out completely before it will be processed. If a registered vehicle is issued a different state license plate during the school year, the owner must notify the Office of Parking Services of the new plate information so that the owner's vehicle file information can be updated. Open registration may also be conducted in the Office of Parking Services or in the police communications office located at the University Police Department, 525 W. Hampton Drive.


The permit must be placed on the outside lower left corner of the rear car window. Permits cannot be taped to the inside of the rear window. In the case of a convertible or a truck with a camper shell, the permit may be placed on lower left corner of the front windshield. No other locations are permitted.

Temporary Passes

Temporary parking passes are required whenever a registered student, faculty member, staff member, or member of an affiliated group with office space on campus will be parking a vehicle on University property for a period of time less than one week. Passes may be obtained at the Office of Parking Services during posted hours or from the University Police Department communications office, 525 W. Hampton Drive, seven days a week, 24 hours a day. Visitors must obtain a temporary parking pass if they are going to park in any area other than that designated for visitor parking. Temporary passes generally can only be issued for a period not longer than one week. However, passes may be issued for a longer period with justification and approval of the Assistant Chief of Administration or his or her representative. No other division or college is permitted to issue a temporary parking pass without approval from the chief of police. Requests for temporary parking passes must be in writing and submitted to the chief of police. Temporary parking passes will only be granted in a few circumstances, and fees will no longer be waived.

Temporary Passes for ADA parking, and Special Needs

Temporary passes for ADA (Americans with Disabilities Act) parking and Special Needs-ADA designated spaces are reserved for persons with vehicles displaying the correct authorization to park there. These are designated tow-away zones for violators. This restriction is enforced 24 hours a day, seven days a week. A violation of this policy could result in a ticket being issued as well.

Any faculty, staff, student, or University affiliate wishing to park in University-controlled ADA parking must have their vehicle registered with the Department of Public Safety Office of Parking Services. A properly designated permit must be affixed to the vehicle as required by the Vehicle Registration and Parking Policy, Section II, (A). In addition to having a parking permit, the vehicle must display a University-issued ADA parking permit. To obtain a University-issued ADA permit, the person who registered the vehicle must present written documentation showing the operator is entitled to be issued an ADA permit. Displaying a state ADA parking placard alone does not permit parking in a University-controlled ADA parking space.

A vehicle displaying a University ADA parking permit shall be parked in an ADA parking space. If there are no ADA parking spaces available, the permit will allow the driver to park in any space in lots designated as A, B, or C. There is no cost for the permit.