Why Study Mathematics and Actuarial Science at Butler
Supportive professional relationships exist between
students and professors.
- All classes taught by professors with masters or doctoral
- No more than 30 students/class.
- Professors' doors are always open.
There is interaction outside the classroom:
- Colloquium series with guest
speakers presenting topics beyond the scope of their classes.
- Internships are available for students. Many students are
given job offers after their internships.
- Research opportunities with faculty members,
internships, and the study abroad program are
- Monthly social events such as Breakfast Mondays and Pizza &
- Student activities for the MAA student club and Actuarial Science club.
- Many mathematics/actuarial science students tutor in the Math
Tutoring Lab to earn money and reinforce their learning from
- Academic competitions such as the Putman Exam and MAA Poster Contest are
available for students.
We prepare students for successful careers and further
Mathematics majors will be
prepared to work in industry and the corporate world as
well as attend graduate school in multiple fields, including
linguistics, engineering, law, the military, fundraising,
meteorology, and even music performance.
- will pass multiple Society of Actuaries exams and complete
the SIA VEE requirements.
- will intern at companies such as CNO Financial, AllState,
Hanover Life, State Farm, and OneAmerica.
- will be prepared to become leaders in risk management,
investment, banking, insurance, and retirement services.
Majors in the Dual-Degree program in mathematics
and engineering will earn a Butler mathematics degree
and a Purdue University engineering degree.
Education majors will be prepared to teach
at both the middle and high school levels.
Importantly, you will be a member of a caring and