Why Study Mathematics and Actuarial Science at Butler
According to a 2014
CNBC poll, students with degrees from our department can get
the best jobs in the U.S. If you are considering a degree in
mathematics or actuarial science, please check out career
information at www.weusemath.org/.
"Mathematician" is the top-rated career with:
- A midlevel income of $101,360 (academics is a large
- A high satisfaction in work environment, income and outlook,
and low stress
- Employment in a variety of public and private sectors such as
energy, transportation and IT
"Statistician" and "Actuary" are listed as the next best careers
- Great salaries with 100% employment after graduation - and this
is true at Butler!
- A wide-open job market
- Secure job placement and high quality work environments
Inside the classroom:
- Supportive professional relationships for students and
- All professors have masters or doctoral degrees.
- Maximum of 30 students/class, but many Butler math and
actuarial science class enrollments are actually much smaller in
- Professors' doors are always open.
Outside the classroom:
Mathematics graduates are prepared to work in industry and
the corporate world or attend graduate school in multiple
fields, including linguistics, engineering, law, the military,
fundraising, meteorology, and even music performance.
Actuarial Science majors
- the ability to pass 4 exams and complete all 3 VEE requirements
offered by the Society of Actuaries.
- interned at companies such as CNO Financial, AllState, Hanover
Life, State Farm, and OneAmerica.
- the opportunity to double-major or minor in
risk management through the College of Business.
- the ability to work in risk management, investment, banking,
insurance, and retirement services.
"Butler University is designated as an Advanced Undergraduate
Program by the Society of Actuaries."
Dual-Degree program majors in
mathematics and engineering will earn a Butler
mathematics degree and a Purdue University engineering degree.
Education majors will be prepared to teach
at both the middle and high school levels.
Importantly, you will be a member of a caring and
Why Study Mathematics at Butler?
Why Study Actuarial Sciences at Butler?
Jordan Hall, Room 270
4600 Sunset Ave.
Indianapolis, IN 46208
Admin. Specialist: Rena Duerksen