Multimedia (Audio/Video) Standards
The use of audio and video on the Butler website is encouraged
and supported. Methods for placing audio and video on the Web may
vary, depending on purpose. However, Web Marketing recommends the
following technologies and specifications when placing audio or
video on the Web:
- YouTube player.
- JW Player.
- Flash Video, encoded with the following specifications:
- 4:3 (standard ratio), 320 x 240 pixels.
- 16:9 (wide ratio), 320 x 180 pixels or 640 x 360 pixels (if
necessary for visual impact).
- 15-25 frames-per-second.
- On2 VP6 video codec (Sorenson video codec, if necessary).
- 300-700 Kbps video bit rate.
- MP3 stereo audio, 64-128 Kbps (mono, if appropriate).
- MP3 Audio (JW Player can be used to play MP3 files in a
- Stereo (mono, if appropriate).
- 64-128 Kbps.
- Video files should be limited to approximately 5 minutes in
length, if possible.
There are strict guidelines on YouTube regarding copyright. In
order to avoid any copyright infringement, Web Marketing and
Communications discourages individuals from making video content
using audio elements without express permission from the copyright
holder. When considering syncing music to video, it is recommended
that only music in the public domain or owned by Butler University
For any questions regarding music available to use for video
content, please contact Tom Otero at firstname.lastname@example.org.