While Butler University is an open campus that welcomes news
media, the following rules regarding interaction and access with
media have been established to protect Butler's reputation and the
privacy of its students, faculty, and staff. The Office of Public
Relations serves as the official liaison to the media.
Guidelines for Faculty, Staff, and Students Interacting with
- Staff and faculty members who have working relationships with
the media within their areas of expertise may respond directly to
reporters. In these situations, we ask that you notify us before or
immediately after the interview.
- Issues that relate to the University in general, or involve
crisis communications, should always be directed to our office so
an accurate and appropriate response can be developed.
- We are here to help faculty and staff prepare for a good
interview and recommend reviewing our basic interview tips.
Our staff also welcomes the opportunity to provide more extensive
Guidelines for Media Representatives
- Media representatives are encouraged to contact the Office of
Public Relations with their request before contacting a Butler
expert or coming to campus.
- Entry to classrooms and offices by news-gathering personnel
must be cleared in advance by the Office of Public Relations.
- Access to all residence halls and all Greek houses is
strictly prohibited without prior permission of
the Office of Public Relations.
- Still and video photography on campus from which images will be
used for commercial profit or distribution must be approved in
advance by the Office of Public Relations. See guidelines for
filming on campus.
- Use of University logos and still or video images of the campus
for political candidacies is prohibited.
- Many campus speaker series limit or restrict recording or
filming. Always check with the Office of Public Relations before
partaking in such activity.