Butler University Invitation Style Guide
The following guidelines will be used for all Butler University
printed and electronic invitations. Invitations for ceremonial
events, such as an inauguration, may follow a different style.
- Spell out Street, Avenue, Drive, Boulevard, etc.; never
- Spell out East, West, South, and North; never abbreviate.
- Spell out states. Do not use the AP style abbreviations or
Example: Chicago, Illinois not Chicago, Ill. or Chicago,
- Capitalize names of departments, divisions, and offices in
invitation copy. Only exception to this rule is when the alumni
office is the sponsoring department. Their name can be
- Spell out all months; never abbreviate.
- Use Fourth of July, not July 4. Use New Year's Day, not January
- When host is President and Mrs. Danko, use President James M.
Danko and Mrs. Bethanie Danko.
- Only the Board of Trustees should ever precede President and
Mrs. Danko's names.
- The Butler University Board of Trustees and President James M.
Danko and Mrs. Bethanie Danko…
- President James M. Danko and Mrs. Bethanie Danko, along with
the Jordan College of the Arts Board of Visitors…
Time of Event
- Include the minutes (e.g., 10:30 a.m., 10:00 a.m.).
- Always include a.m. or p.m. unless the time is noon or
midnight. Write a.m. and p.m. lowercase with periods.
- Do not use 12 with noon or midnight.
- If an event has a beginning and an end time, separate the two
with an en dash. Also, do not repeat a.m. and p.m.
- 9:00 a.m.-4:00 p.m.
- 2:00-4:00 p.m.
- 10:00 a.m.-noon