College of Communication
Eugene S. Pulliam School of Journalism

Our Mission

Jordan
Jordan Hall (former home of School of Journalism)
Winter Scene, 1929

The Eugene S. Pulliam School of Journalism is committed to providing the highest quality of liberal arts study and professional training in a broad range of knowledge, skills, concepts, and experiential learning to prepare students to adapt to a dynamic journalism and strategic communication environment for both careers and post-graduate studies.

School of Journalism: Then and Now

The School of Journalism was established in 1924 as a "program" in the Department of English. Strong support from Hilton U. Brown, president of Butler's Board of Directors and an executive with The Indianapolis News, facilitated the formation of the School. The School was set up to meet two general needs of undergraduates at Butler: "1) to equip as completely as possible for later practice those students who intend to pursue journalism as a career; and 2) to afford opportunity for students taking a general liberal arts course or other major subjects to gain a practical insight into the history, the purpose, the workings, and the ideals of the press, and to acquire facility and precision in writing-no matter in what field."

Increasing enrollments in journalism led to the separation of the School from the Department of English in 1925. In 1937, the School (renamed Department) became a division of the College of Business and introduced the first public relations courses titled "publicity." In 1982, the College of Business returned the Department to the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences. A decade after its return to LAS, the leadership of the University in collaboration with the faculty of the Department made curricular and personnel changes which led to increased enrollment and excellence in education and training of students.

In 2000, the Pulliam family, who are synonymous with journalism and The Indianapolis Star, presented Butler University with a $5 million endowment to fund the Eugene S. Pulliam School of Journalism. The School was officially dedicated on October 27, 2000, and is housed in the Fairbanks Center for Communication and Technology.

In 2010, the University created the College of Communication. The School of Journalism is now housed in the College of Communication and includes the programs formally known as journalism:news editorial and electronic journalism. The public relations and integrated communication: public relations and advertising programs split from the School in 2010 and are now a part of the strategic communication program in the College of Communication.