Travel can be a "risky" decision with concerns for safety and
liability for everyone involved. You are highly encouraged to set
up a time to meet time a Programs for Leadership and Service
Education staff member to discuss the details of your trip to
define and manage those risks accordingly. If you are traveling as
an organization or in representation of your organization, please
consider the following information.
When should you evaluate travel?
- sponsored by the University and organization
- funded by the University, and the travel is undertaken using a
vehicle owned or leased by the University; OR
- required by a student organization registered at the
Butler University Driving Policy
On occasion, a Butler student, in the performance of his/her
student organization duties or university events, might find it
necessary to drive a university-owned/leased/rented/or vehicle. If
driving a personal vehicle, refer to the last paragraph in
this section. The following policy exists to ensure that
only those individuals with acceptable driving records are
permitted to drive for a sponsored function.
In order to drive a university-owned/leased/rented van the
following requirements must be followed:
must be at least 22 years of age.
- must have a minimum of 6 years driving experience.
- must also participate in the Driver Safety Program through the
Butler Police Department.
- must submit a copy of his/her current driver's license, along
with a signed "Request for Driving Privileges" Form with the
approval of the Director of Programs for Leadership and Service
Education, to the Office of Operations, two weeks prior to the
Upon approval, the student requesting permission to drive will
be allowed to drive, and will remain on the approved driver's list
for one year, or until October 1, whichever period is shorter.
Any person who does not complete any of the above
requirements or drives their personal vehicles will accept
responsibility and financial liability, independent of the
university, of any accidents that occur while driving a university
owned/rented/leased or personal vehicle thereafter.
Driving Personal Vehicles
- Very cost effective, however liability issues can be a primary
- Each vehicle needs to have appropriate insurance.
- Drivers, by choosing to drive, assume responsibility for the
safety of those traveling in their vehicle.
- Passengers traveling in private vehicles understand that they
do at their own risk.
Renting Cars, Vans or Busses
- Contact Programs for Leadership and Service Education to set up
rental through Enterprise Rent-A-Car through your student
- If you choose to go through a commercial vendor, most will
require the driver to over the age of 25. There are some that may
rent to 18-21 year olds.