Welcome Student Organization Advisors!
We highly value the work you do with student organizations, and
are here to serve as a resource and guide to you.
All recognized student organizations must have an advisor who is
a full-time faculty/staff member at Butler University.
Benefits to Advising Include:
- a unique opportunity to get to know and work with students
outside of the classroom or office
- the reward of watching the group develop to its fullest
- the reward of watching students develop their individual skills
- the chance to informally share your knowledge and expertise on
- an opportunity to feel satisfaction and accomplishment through
making a special contribution to a particular group of
- the chance for service to students, the University, and the
Expectations of Advisors:
- Assist students in developing strategies and goals that provide
for member ownership, feedback, and involvement.
- Be aware of the organization's constitution, by-laws, and
- Assist the organization in program development and
- Encourage the officers and individual members to preserve the
continuity of the group by keeping records to document the group's
history and provide transition to new officers.
- Encourage students to understand and apply democratic
principles, including the promotion of diverse programming and
inclusive practices within the group.
- Attend as many organization meetings and events as
- Articulate campus policies and procedures.
- Be a facilitator among both officers and between officers and
- Be familiar with national organizational structure and
services, if relevant.
- Be a resource for students, especially in regard to
understanding University policies, regulations, and services.
- Consult with other University departments when problems arise
with the organizations.
- Provide assistance in the administration of financial affairs
of the organizations, including serving as the collection point for
all monies via mail.
If you'd like to volunteer to be a student organization
advisor, call us at (317) 940-9262.
Our office is here to serve as a resource to you and to answer
your questions or concerns. Contact us with questions, and be sure
to look at the resources available to the left.
Thank you for all you do with our student