Butler University Mission Statement
Butler's mission is to provide the highest quality of liberal
and professional education and to integrate the liberal arts with
professional education, by creating and fostering a stimulating
intellectual community built upon interactive dialogue and inquiry
among students, faculty and staff.
- Providing the highest quality of teaching and to achieving the
highest ideals of student learning, which include clear and
effective communication, appreciation of beauty, and a commitment
to lifelong learning, community service, and global awareness.
- Being a national university which serves students from other
regions and other countries, while recognizing its special
responsibility to serve the undergraduate and graduate students of
Indiana and the Midwest.
- Being a residential campus, one on which both academic and
non-academic aspects of student life receive important
- Recruiting and sustaining practicing scholars and professionals
dedicated to intellectual self-renewal for the benefit of their
- Cultivating an awareness and understanding of other cultures in
its curriculum, and to promoting cultural and ethnic diversity of
its faculty and its students.
- Providing intellectual, cultural, and artistic opportunities
and leadership to Indianapolis and the surrounding areas.
- Providing opportunities and lifelong support to its alumni in
recognition of their special relationship to the institution.