Getting Started With Office 2011 for Mac
Office 2011 Campus Availability (Faculty & Staff Only)
Office 2011 is the latest version of Microsoft Office for Mac.
Office 2011 offers many new features that can help improve ease of use
and productivity. The schedule for Office 2011 availability on
Butler owned computers is below.
- June 1, 2011: Standard Office suite on new and
- August 10, 2011: Standard in computer labs and classrooms
- August 12, 2011: Recommended upgrade by date
- January 31, 2012: All computers required to run Office
If you wish to purchase Office 2011 for a personal computer,
please visit our Home Use software page.
The following resources are a must see for anyone new to Office
2011. IT highly recommends reviewing the getting started resources
before using Office 2011!
Getting Started Resources
Get Office 2011
Follow the steps below from on campus to
install Office 2011. The install could take up to 45 minutes so
please plan accordingly. To save time, connect to a wired network
- Connect to power and close all open applications
Download the Office installer (Butler login required) and
save it to your computer
- Once downloaded, double-click the
"Install_Office_2011.pkg.zip" file to decompress it (Note
- some browsers will decompress zip files automatically, if so,
skip to the next step)
- Double-click the "Office 2011" installer
package and follow the prompts
- Enter your local administrator password when prompted
- Do not turn off your computer or allow it to sleep while the
installation is in progress.
- You will find the Office 2011 application icons in your
dock once the installation is complete
- Trash both the Office installer and .zip
- Enjoy Office 2011
Known Office 2011 Issues at Butler
- The first time you launch Outlook you will be prompted to enter
your Butler password so Outlook can connect to your BUmail mailbox.
You will most likely also see the following message: "Outlook was
redirected to the server bumail.butler.edu to get new settings for
your account. Do you want to allow this server to configure your
- Any time you see this message Check Always use
my response for this server and then click
- How to set up the Butler Directory so you can search: Go to
Tools > Accounts > Select the BUmail Account > Click the
Advanced Button > Under Directory Service, Server: enter only
butler.edu > Click OK > Close the Accounts Window > Click
the Contact Search Button > Select BUmail Directory from
the "In" dropdown box to search the Butler directory.