Updating and Running Symantec Endpoint Protection (SEP)
Antivirus software uses a virus definition file to maintain a
list of known patterns of code that are found in viruses. The virus
definition file must be updated in order for Symantec Endpoint
Protection (SEP) to detect new types of viruses. Updates to the
definition file can be downloaded from SEP using the LiveUpdate
option. All future virus scans and repairs will then use the new
Note: LiveUpdate requires Internet access.
- In the bottom right corner of the screen, right click the
Symantec Shield icon and select Open
Symantec Endpoint Protection
- At the main window, click LiveUpdate
Notice that the Version and Date of the current virus definition
file are noted next to Definitions in the middle of the window.
4. Symantec Antivirus connects to
the LiveUpdate server and downloads the updated virus definition
5. When the update is complete, a Virus Protection Updated window
displays, click Finish.
6. You should run a full system scan daily to ensure you are virus
Scheduling Live Updates
When you first load SEP, the Live Update default is set to
Weekly. This setting leaves your machine vulnerable for viruses and
worms to invade in between updates. We recommend that you change
your scheduled updates to Daily at a set time.
Follow these steps to change the scheduled Live Update.
- See above instructions for opening Symantec
- From the main screen, select Change
Settings. Next to Client Management, select
- The Client Management Settings window will appear. Select the
Scheduled Updates tab.
4. Under Frequency, select
Daily and in the At: field enter a time.
This process will scan your computer and can take a considerable
amount of time depending on the number of files (possibly
- See instructions above for assistance with opening
- At the main window, click Scan for
- Select Run Full Scan