Virus and Malware Protection
Viruses and Malware are defined as "a variety of forms of
hostile, intrusive, or annoying software or program code." These
programs are designed to infiltrate computer software, and
sometimes can be used to capture personal data and information or
damage your computer.
Malware can do the following:
- Create popups, even when you don't have a browser window
- Steal your passwords & credit card numbers
- Track every web site you visit
- Cause your computer to run slower by using up system
Butler University provides free antivirus software for all Butler
students. Symantec Endpoint Protection is provided for all campus
machines and Butler student computers.
To reduce your risk of getting a virus, IT suggests that
you do the following:
- Avoid using file sharing programs, such as Limewire or
precautions when accessing email and attachments
- Software Updates - Learn about one of the most critical steps
to protecting your computer
- Firewall Protection - How to turn on your Windows Firewall.
Click on your Operating System below:
Antivirus - Instructions for installing Symantec Endpoint
Protection on your computer
Scans - Try running virus scans using your Antivirus
If removal fails, please contact the Help Desk as
soon as possible. It is against the Computer Use Policy to
continue to access the Butler network with a virus, and you may
lose access until the virus has been removed.