Software Updates on Butler Owned Windows Computers
This page contains information about
automatic update settings on Butler computers with the Microsoft
Windows operating system. Automatic updates will normally be
applied once a month.
- When updates are available, a notification will appear near the
clock in the system tray. Click the icon to immediately install the
- If you do not install the updates on your own they will be
applied automatically overnight and your machine will be
Always Log Off (not lock) your computer when you leave for the
day. Updates that install overnight will most likely require a
Update Process Overview
In order to keep Butler's systems secure, it is necessary to
apply software updates to most computers on a regular basis. All
updates go through a testing process to mitigate the impact to end
users. Updates will be applied on a monthly basis unless the
severity of an update requires otherwise.
- Critical updates are downloaded and tested by IT
- After testing, updates are published to all Butler
- In the days following, all computers will receive the updates
and notify the logged on user that they are ready to install. If no
user is logged on, the computer will install the updates and reboot
automatically overnight. If a user is logged on, they will get a
warning before the system reboots.