POLICY NAME: Blogging Policy
SCOPE: Faculty & Staff
Department Responsible: Information
EFFECTIVE DATE: May 14,
All members of the Butler University community who
maintain content within Blogs @ Butler
are expected to adhere to the following policies:
- Butler University encourages and promotes the free
expression and exchange of ideas through department, personal,
group or club blogs.
- The content of all blogs operated through Butler
University are open to public comment at the administrator's
choice. The comments are the responsibility of individual users and
members, including Butler students, faculty and staff, and do not
necessarily reflect the opinions or policies of Butler
- The Butler University website will not link to or promote
any blog that does not adhere to published policies and guidelines
for blogging and computer usage.
- Think prior to posting. Even with strict privacy
settings, information posted to blogs should not be considered
private. If you would not say something in public, do not say it
- Be civil and respectful, and never post vulgar, obscene,
defamatory or libelous remarks. You can be held legally liable for
comments you make online.
- Do not post confidential or proprietary information.
Faculty and staff must adhere to all Butler University policies and
procedures, as well as Federal standards, such as FERPA and
- Be respectful of copyrighted and trademark information,
including Butler University logos and marks. This extends to the
intellectual property of the University and that of the faculty,
staff and administration who work for it. Please refer to
Marketing Communication Plan website for more
information regarding logo usage and editorial
- Butler University reserves the right to remove any
content or ban any user that violates these, or any other
established campus policies. Please review all
University Computing Policies to understand
your rights and responsibilities.
Administration of Policy
The oversight of this policy is the responsibility of the CIO
and should be reviewed annually.