BUanywhere - Computing on Your Terms
IT is pleased to offer BUanywhere (also known as VDI) as
a computing option for faculty and staff. BUanywhere offers a
middle ground between the power of a desktop computer and the
mobility of a laptop.
BUanywhere enables staff and faculty to Work From
What is BUanywhere?
BUanywhere is a Windows 7 based computer that is housed in the
Butler data center and is accessible from a multitude of devices.
Your computing experience will be similar to the experience of
using a computer that sits on your desk. The real power of
BUanywhere comes when you are not at your desk, whether on campus
or off. Access all your files and applications securely and without
Why Use BUanywhere in lieu of a Standard Laptop or
- Mobility - Work from anywhere that has a network connection,
just like you were at your desk
- Security - Your BUanywhere computer and data stay in the
datacenter which helps protect it from theft
- Access - Use all your applications and data from anywhere
- Recovery - If you have a major issue with your BUanywhere
computer, IT will be able to get you back up and running faster
than with a standard laptop or desktop
Is BUanywhere Right for Me?
Depending on your role and computing needs, BUanywhere may or
may not be the right computing solution for you. If you do any of
the following items, we suggest you stay with a standard laptop or
- Need to access your BUanywhere computer while not connected to
- Need to use a web cam
- Need to use CDs
- Need more than 20GB of hard drive space
- Use multimedia extensively or do audio and video editing
- Heavily use high end applications like Adobe Creative Suite or
Note: Streaming audio and video (e.g., Pandora, YouTube, web
video) are not perfect. This will improve over time but you
shouldn't expect to watch full-screen HD video.
How do I Access My BUanywhere Computer?
When you are on campus, you will use a small device called
Zero client. When you are off campus using another device, you
will use an app. Follow the
Windows or Mac device, iPad, or select Android
Tablet instructions to learn how to install the app and
access your BUanywhere computer using this method.
Access via a web browser (such as Internet Explorer, Safari,
Chrome, or Firefox) is also available:
- Visit https://buanywhere.butler.edu
- Click on the VMware Horizon View HTML Access icon on the
- Click on the My BUanywhere to open your virtual desktop in your
web browser window
Note: Image quality is lower when accessing via a web browser.
For higher image quality, use a zero client or the app mentioned
above to access BUanywhere.
How can I get a BUanywhere computer?
If you are interested, please contact the IT Help