Smartphones & Other Mobile Devices
Information Technology offers limited support of
smartphones to Butler faculty, staff, and students.
How To Connect to BUmail and Wireless...
Securing Your Mobile Device
IT recommends following the best practices below to ensure the
security of your mobile device. Mobile devices are very prevalent
on campus. The features that make these devices useful also
make them a target for theft.
- Do not leave mobile devices unattended when not in use (e.g. in
your car, lounge, or study area). When not in use, store them in a
- Password protect your mobile devices and enable the
auto-lockout feature. The password protect feature blocks
access to your device until your password is entered. Use the
strongest password your device supports.
- Enable remote tracking features for your mobile device.
Your remote tracking software should support advanced features like
remote wipe and remote lockout.
- Apple remote tracking is done through iCloud
- Windows Phone tracking is done through
Find My Phone
- Android remote tracking is done through 3rd party
applications. We do not officially recommend a tracking
product for the Android platform, but the following should work for
your mobile device.
- Do not circumvent security features or jailbreak your mobile
- Wipe or securely delete data before you dispose of or recycle
your mobile device
- Lost, stolen or misplaced mobile devices should be immediately
reported to BUPD. If you have enabled remote tracking, there
is a better chance that your mobile device can be returned to