BUfiles Network File Storage
BUfiles is Butler provided network storage for all faculty,
staff and students that is available from anywhere. BUfiles is the
IT recommended space for storing files. You can request additional
space by contacting the Help Desk. IT STRONGLY recommends
that faculty and staff store their Butler files on BUfiles!
- 2 GB of personal space
- Reliable and secure
- Backed up daily
- Access your files from anywhere
Access BUfiles On Campus
Windows ~ Show Information
Butler Windows Computers
All Butler Windows computers automatically connect your personal
BUfiles (H:) at login. Your can access your BUfiles space by
clicking the Start button > My Computer and selecting the H:
Non-Butler Windows Computers
- Ensure your computer is connected to the Butler network
- Click the Start button and right-click My Computer
- Select Map Network Drive
- A window will open. From the drop down menu next to Drive
- In the Folder line, type \\bufiles\user\username (replacing
'username' with your Butler username (e.g.
- Select the box for reconnect at login and click Finish
- A window may open asking for your credentials
- Enter "BUTLER\yourusername" and your password
- This will connect to your BUfiles folder and reconnect it every
time you start your computer on-campus
Mac ~ Show Information
Access BUfiles From Off Campus
Use BUconnect to access your BUfiles from
Access Other Files on the Network
Additional Storage on BUfiles
- Additional personal storage space can be requested by
contacting the Help
- Course-related documents can be stored in
\\bufiles\general\courses. If you would like to have a folder
created for your course, contact the Help Desk.
- Departments also have folders in \\bufiles\group where members
can securely store data.
Backing Up Non-Butler or Extremely Large Files to an External
Sometimes BUfiles is not the best place to store files.
Extremely large files can be hard to work with over the network and
might be better suited for backup to an external hard
drive. Additionally, personal files including iTunes
libraries should not be backed up to BUfiles.
- To back up your iTunes library to an external hard disk see this
page from Apple.
- To back up any other files to an external hard disk simply
connect the drive to your computer and drag the files to the