Snow Removal Policy and Procedures
Snow removal policy and procedures are designed to help ensure
access for students who are registered through Student Disability
Services (SDS) and whose disabilities impact their ability to
traverse campus during seasons of inclement weather. For more
information about how to register for services through SDS, please
refer to www.butler.edu/disability/documentation/how-to-submit
or visit Jordan Hall 136.
Student Disability Services (SDS) relies on the collaborative
efforts of Maintenance Services personnel to facilitate the snow
removal process. Although priority snow removal can be very
helpful to students with disabilities, during periods of
heavy/continuous snowfall or very icy conditions, students with
mobility or visual impairments should anticipate they may
experience difficulties when walking across campus. During
severe weather, students with disabilities are encouraged to remain
aware of weather conditions and to plan their campus travel routes
The following procedures identify the responsibilities of SDS,
students with relevant disabilities, and Maintenance Services
- Students should refer to the campus map that has been prepared by
Maintenance Services and provided by SDS in order to identify
priority snow removal routes.
- Students are encouraged to plan paths of travel which make use
of the routes identified on the priority snow removal
map. This may require that students use routes they might
not generally use when snow has not created a barrier to
- Students should call the 'Access Hotline' in Maintenance
Services at 940-9393 to report barriers which result from
snowfall. The Hotline number will be answered between the
hours of 7 a.m. and 5 p.m. and provides immediate contact with
Butler University's Maintenance Services Department. For access
issues that occur after hours, students should contact Butler
University Police Department at 940-9396.
- Students must notify the Director of SDS at firstname.lastname@example.org, or by
phone at 940-9308, to report a snow barrier that has not been
removed in a timely manner.
- SDS will work with Maintenance Services to develop and
disseminate campus maps that identify the priority snow removal
- The Director of SDS will contact and work with Maintenance
Services in response to reports of snow-related barriers which are
not removed in a timely manner.
Maintenance Services Responsibilities
- Maintenance Services will develop and maintain a campus map
which identifies priority snow removal routes.
- Maintenance Services personnel will clear snow from priority
routes before dispatching equipment and crews to non-priority
- Maintenance Services personnel will clear paths of travel from
building to building, automatic door opener to automatic door
opener, and will be cognizant of additional access barriers
(stairs, etc) in selecting routes to be cleared.
- Maintenance Services personnel will contact SDS to report
problems with snow removal.
Snow Removal map