Student Disability Services

Residential IssuesHampton House

Any student who has a request for a housing accommodation based on his/her medical or physical condition is required to submit the necessary supporting documentation as well as all standard housing forms. The student's request must also include the Request for Housing Accommodation due to Medical or Physical Condition. All housing forms are available in the Office of Residence Life in Atherton Union 303 or by phone at 317.940.9458. Housing forms are not available from Student Disability Services.

Requests for housing accommodations are considered on a case by case basis in consultation with Student Disability Services, Butler Counseling and Consultation Services, Aramark Dining Services and/or Butler Health Services, depending on the nature of the request and as may be deemed necessary by the University. Students should be aware that decisions regarding any request are affected by overall campus availability as well as individualized student needs.

Students who are considering a single room request need to be further aware that single rooms are very limited on campus and cannot generally be granted to students who feel they need a "quiet, undisturbed place to study." The University provides quiet study areas in the libraries, residence hall common areas, and in some academic buildings.

A student whose condition results in a request for more extensive housing accommodations such as a wheelchair accessible room, visual strobe, single room due to disability, physical space modifications, etc. must also complete all standard housing forms, as described above, and provide them to the Office of Residence Life. In addition, the student should contact Student Disability Services directly so that his/her overall access needs can be comprehensively reviewed and addressed. Please allow as much advance notice as possible; some housing modifications require several months for completion.

Additional information regarding documentation guidelines is available in Student Disability Services, Jordan Hall 136, by phone at 317.930.9308, or at Decisions in regard to housing accommodation requests will be issued in writing by the Office of Residence Life and will be forwarded to students through U.S. Mail. In the event a student is not satisfied with the decision involving an accommodation request, he/she may appeal such decision by contacting the Dean of Student Life in Atherton Union 200 or by phone at 317.940.9570.