(Students must meet both State and Butler
Course fieldwork will be done in school age groups indicative of
the license student intends to earn.
Transcripts and/or professional experiences may have content
deficiencies. Butler COE can require additional coursework to
address any content deficits. It is important to carefully document
competencies in child development, psychology, any coursework and
experiences in the social and behavioral sciences, and competencies
in technology, especially computer technology.
K-12 Licensure: 24 credit hours
State Admission Requirements:
- A baccalaureate degree with a grade point average of at least
3.0/4.0, both in the major and overall; OR
- Both a baccalaureate degree with a grade point average of at
least 2.5/4.0, both in the major and overall, AND
five years of professional experience.
(For those using this option, please include documentation of five
years of professional experience considered appropriate for this
licensure. Please be specific; OR
- An earned graduate degree from an accredited
college or university.
if you do not have a 2.5 cumulative undergraduate GPA at the
of your graduation
on your transcript, we cannot help you. Even if you
credit hours at other universities, these credits and grades
your undergraduate GPA.
Butler Admission Requirements:
- Three professional letters of recommendation to assess prior
- Official transcript(s) from all from colleges and universities
must be submitted. There is NO provision in this program for a
conditional admit. The state requirements must be met.
Beginning January 1, 2006, all applicants who have less than a 3.0
GPA must take and pass the Praxis I exam before being admitted to
the Transition to Teaching program. Praxis I MUST be passed
at or before achieving 12 credit hours. Praxis I required
cutoff scores are: Reading 176, Math 175, Writing 172. Praxis I can
be scheduled at Prometric Testing Center (317-486-4541). There is a
fee for this service. All Praxis scores should be coded to be sent
to Butler University and the Indiana Division of Professional
- Complete non-degree application
- Include all official undergraduate college/university
- Include 3 letters of recommendation
- (If your undergraduate GPA is less than 3.0/4.0, include
complete documentation of 5 years of professional experiences that
would be appropriate to determine background for working with
children or adults with special needs or at risk for special
- Write on the outside of your envelope: Transition to
Teaching - College of Education
- If you anticipate Financial Aid needs, please contact the
Butler University Financial Office at 940-8200.