For complete information, see "Passport Services and Information" at the U.S.
- Call the local post office to find out where to apply.
- Allow two months for processing.
- Bring proof of U.S. citizenship (birth certificate or
certificate of naturalization), proof of identity (picture ID), and
two passport photos (2 inches by 2 inches). Look up "passport
photos" in the yellow page to find a store (many copy centers, AAA,
Walgreen's do this) that does official passport photos.
- To renew by mail, send your application, old passport, two
photos, and renewal fee to the National Passport Center, P.O. Box
371971, Pittsburgh, PA, 15250-7971
- In an emergency, a private passport service can obtain a
passport in several days.
When outside the United States
- If you lose your passport, contact the local police and the
U.S. embassy or consulate.
- A photocopy of your passport will make it easier to obtain a
- Keep a copy yourself.
- Make sure to leave copies with your instructors and your