ART322, Color: Painting + Color
Theory: An exploration of art and design
practices relating to painting and an introduction to color theory.
The class will expose the student to a broad range of ideas and
approaches relating to color, painting and the visual arts
including mixed media approaches.
- Students gain an understanding of
color theory and the interaction of color in both traditional and
- Students learn surface manipulation
techniques, textural and glazing approaches and are exposed to both
representation and non-representation working methods. Students
increase their knowledge of compositional strategies and how images
can be used to create a narrative.
- The class explores a multi-stage
production process, from sketch to finished work and introduces
- Instruction on creating painting
surfaces, including preparing stretchers and
- Discussion of mixed media and digital
approaches to painting.
- Creation of multi panel
- Discussion of intentionality in art
includes projects that include aspects of improvisation and
- Pantone Matching
- Digital color palettes from the Adobe
Key Student Learning
By the end of this course students
- Demonstrate an understanding of the
basic principles of art + design, including visual vocabulary, and
technical sensibility towards composition and
- Demonstrate an understanding of
connectivity of a variety of art + design methods, materials,
techniques and technologies.
Gallery of Student Work created in