Structure: Graphic Design + Identity Branding An
introduction to design concepts from artistic and structural
perspectives. Students focus on a range of design problems,
emphasizing the interplay of image, text and creativity.
Typographic design and interactivity in relation to identity
branding is studied. Students also develop client briefs and gain
expertise in vector and bitmap environments.
- The intersection between design
thinking and artistic processes is studied in projects
- Print design, including package
design and design narrative posters
- Typographic design, logos and
branding (letterhead and business cards), including font and glyph
design with a basis in calligraphic letterforms.
- Design for the web in vector and
bitmap environments with both scanned and created
- Interactive graphic design, with an
emphasis on socially responsive design through placemaking
(planning/design of public spaces).
- Rapid prototyping methods and
iterative design methods are introduced.
- Students learn to work with clients
and work in a professional design environment.
- Adobe InDesign
- Adobe Illustrator
- Adobe Photoshop
- 3-D printing for graphic
- Flat-bed scanner
Key Student Learning
By the end of this course students
- Demonstrate an understanding of
connectivity of a variety of art + design methods, materials,
techniques and technologies.
- Demonstrate innovative thinking,
craft and sophistication in terms of aesthetic and technical
application of materials and processes of art +