Butler's mission is to provide the highest quality of liberal and professional education and to integrate the liberal arts with professional education, by creating and fostering a stimulating intellectual community built upon interactive dialogue and inquiry among students, faculty, and staff.
113 transfer students
46 percent from out of state/out of country (45 states and 52 foreign countries)
2011 First-year Class Profile (Middle 50%)
GPA: 3.51-4.0 (on a 4.0 scale)
Critical Reading: 520-630
50 percent in the top 10 percent of their graduating class
Full-time faculty: 339
Teaching assistants: 0
11:1 with an average university-wide class size of 20
Eighty-nine percent of first-year students re-enrolled for sophomore year in 2010-2011 (well above the national average)
Post-Graduate Placement Rate
Ninety-three percent of Butler students have a full-time job, volunteer/service corps position, or are enrolled in graduate school within six months of graduation. For PharmD and PA program graduates, the rate is 95 percent and for College of Education graduates the placement rate is 98 percent.
For first-year students (in-state and out-of-state):
Room and board: $11,240
Our Campus and Location
The Butler University campus is 290 acres in a residential neighborhood of Indianapolis, the 12th largest city in the U.S. Our campus is hailed as one of the most attractive in the Midwest for our park-like setting.
19 NCAA Division I sports
13 Club sports
14 Intramural sports
Rankings and Recognitions
- Butler University has been named a "Best Buy" school in the 2013 revised and updated edition of Fiske Guide to Colleges - one of only 21 private schools and 41 nationwide to receive that designation this year.
- Ranked 2nd best university in the Regional Universities Midwest category in the 2011 and 2012 U.S. News & World Report of America's Best Colleges. This same publication ranked Butler as the No. 1 "Up-and-Coming" institution among Regional Universities Midwest, and one of 68 nationwide.
- Named a "Best in the Midwest" college by the Princeton Review.
- Butler's part-time MBA program was ranked 8th in the Midwest and 36th in the nation by BusinessWeek magazine.
- Butler's dance program is one of the top five programs in the country.
- North American Pharmacy Licensing Exam ranks Butler in the top three schools nationally.