If you are a student anywhere from a senior in high school to a senior in college….right now is probably decision time for you. Whether you are deciding where you want to go to college, or where you are spending your summer, or what you are going to do now that you aren’t in college anymore, making decisions is hard….really hard. I speak from experience, because I had exactly one day to make a HUGE decision for this point in my life last week. So, since thinking about decision making is fresh in my mind, here is some advice for how to make very thorough decisions that you can be proud of…
- Do your homework. Educate yourself on all of the options, and understand what you would be getting yourself into in each area. This way, you know what each option entails.
- Make a pro-con list. Since you just laid out everything about all of the options, now you can gauge what is a pro and what is a con, and possibly even rank them in importance. You can do this by giving each a score from 1-10 on which is more important, or you can just rank them.
- Talk to people that you know and whose opinions you respect. This is something that I think is the most helpful, because sometimes others see opportunities that you would never consider. They can also encourage you to make a choice that will help you grow, especially when you are afraid of making a decision like that. I love getting the opinion of others, and trust me, it can be VERY helpful.
- Think about the future. Which option will help you get to where you want to go with your life, or at least closer? This can sometimes be hard to see, but it is very useful, and something you should keep in mind!
- Go with your gut. Usually what happens is that you have a gut feeling, then you try to talk yourself out of it. After this individuals tend to sway back to their gut feeling, or maybe they talk themselves out of the option so effectively that they they end up picking it.
- Once you make your decision, be proud of it! If you make your decision and then think, I wish I would have gone with the other option…you will drive yourself crazy. So do yourself a favor, and stick with what you decided, because it is probably what is right for you!
That is all of the tips that I have for right now….and even though I said that I had a big decision to make….I am not sharing the decision until a later date, so check back for an update on my life!